lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #21
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Default Re: My Official 1986 Rebuild Thread answer all my questions.

Looks like aftermarket pump and filter to me.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBuford View Post
That's what I thought. I am wondering if my cart has an aftermarket fuel pump. Cause I can't find that kind of fuel filter anywhere on golf cart parts sites.
Good eye CA, Yes BB I think it's an aftermarket pump too. I don't think they used electric pumps back then.......

That filter looks like what was used on the old carbs of the 70's - 80's, Maybe a Holley or on a Ford. I don't think it was quadrajet though, but I'm sure if you took it to an auto parts store they'd have a replacement.

Of course you could always eliminate it with a pipe nipple and use an inline filter
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

Did not think of a pipe nipple and the inline filter.
BBuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

what all is involved in removing my cart body? I was trying to find a good step by step instruction but can't find one. It appears that there is a lot of rivets vs. bolts. After taking all the black plastic/rubber moldings off, trim pieces, dash out - Is the 1986 body a single body cart or does the front come off separate from the rear?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I didn't bother taking mine off to paint, It looked way too in-depth and just wasn't worth all the extra work. I would suspect it's possible with bolts and/or rivets but maybe it's welded too I don't know...Good Luck
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #26
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I didn't bother taking mine off to paint, It looked way too in-depth and just wasn't worth all the extra work. I would suspect it's possible with bolts and/or rivets but maybe it's welded too I don't know...Good Luck

Did you just take off all the rubber trim and mask good, then spray?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #27
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I stripped it down to basically a rolling chassis/body, took off the roof and it's brackets/seat brackets. All the rubber trim and the plastic rear fender caps, The dashboard but I replaced it with a new one anyway. Drilled out and removed the VIN tag, tore out the old rubber floor (replaced it with new) and put on the old tires and wheels which he left on while painting lol. And when I rolled it into his shop I removed the steering column too (just three bolts), About the only thing he masked was the engine compartment so he wouldn't paint the wiring and gas tank.

When I got it home I went back with rattle cans and shot the frame and stuff in the engine compartment, the rear inner fender wells, All up under the front end and even under the floor still had some of that ugly original green lol. Also did the hubs, brake drums, entire rear axle/differential etc.........

Here's pics of the day I picked it up and after I trimmed it out with the rattle cans, Had to put the steering column back on at his shop to steer it on the trailer. You can see the over spray up under the fender wells and on the tires etc..

I've been working on it last week and this week and today is the day it'll be DONE WooHoo!! Just have a few more pieces of aluminum diamond plate trim, I don't want to disrupt your thread with my final pics so I'll post em up in mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48.jpgccccc.jpg (278.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 49.jpg (345.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 59.jpg (244.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 69.jpgcccccc.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 71.jpgcccccccccccc.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #28
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

Motor has been rebuilt and reinstalled. It all works great. Runs great and has power up hills. New driven clutch and rebuilt engine! Should be good for another 30 years.

Pictures to follow.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #29
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

So my cart runs. Engine rebuilt - Check! First part of my list of things to do.

Here is my next job to tackle on my rebuild. Steering! I need some help - I don't know anything about steering components. I am good with engines, not so much with steering.

When I am sitting still and not moving, my steering wheel has about 3in of travel counterclockwise and 3in travel clockwise without causing the wheels to turn. I have noticed when I am traveling full speed that the steering seems sloppy and seems to have some drift in it.

How do I go about diagnosing what is the problem and what parts need some work or replaced? Help me troubleshoot my steering, please.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #30
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

I would start at steering box and check fluid level and gear lash. Both can be done on top/front cover. Flathead screw with lock nut around it sets gear lash. Big plug looking bolt is to check oil.
Next check steering arm for slop (where my current issue is)
Tie rod ends are fairly durable and pretty easy to see if there is an issue there.
Last I would check Kingpins and bushings. These are a high ware part and cheaply replaced.
Hope that helps
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO