lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Woods Rider
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas gauge prpblem

Hey guys
New here and need some help with fuel gauge on 2009 ST Sport 2+2,
I have changed the gauge twice and the sender once.I have checked continuity on the black and yellow wire and it i good.It is getting power from the switch and stays well below empty until you start it and then it will move to right under empty.Thanks for any suggestions to try
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Gas gauge prpblem

How much fuel is actually in it? Is the reading correct once you start driving?

It's normal for the fuel gauge to only come to life once you start to drive. My 2008 ST Workhorse did the same thing. If I remember correctly, I believe power goes from battery, through the gas pedal, then to the key switch, and then to the solenoid. So even though it gets power from the key switch, voltage is not actually available until the gas pedal is depressed.

I'm sure Trig or someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you could verify this with a multimeter.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
voltage is not actually available until the gas pedal is depressed.

StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You may have a faulty sender unit if everything else checks good. try grounding the wire that goes to the sender (yellow i think) you should see a full reading if i recall correctly and if so, the sender is faulty. Make sure the float is actually floating on top of the fuel and not sunk down in the tank, it may have a hole in it and be full of fuel, not allowing it to float.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Woods Rider
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies
I have another gauge on the way and will try again.The tank is about half full and the sender reads about 80 right there, with the sender out of the tank it reads about 30 all the way down and 200 all the way up.

I understand about the gauge only getting juice when the pedal is pushed down. Should it be getting a full 12v? Don't know what else to try if gauge does not fix it.Will post back
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Woods Rider
Not Yet Wild

Is there any chance the gas pedal micro switch could cause this problem?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Is there any chance the gas pedal micro switch could cause this problem?
I'll say no. It is either "on" or "off". No middle ground. If the cart runs, it works. Plain and simple.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Woods Rider
Not Yet Wild

When i jump a wire from the black terminal on the gauge to the neg side of the battery sparks fly.Would something else on the cart be wired wrong?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You must have something wired wrong.
You need three wires on the gauge for it to work. The red wire comes from small terminal of starter solenoid that supplies voltage only when you push the gas pedal. That would be the gauge terminal closest to ignition switch. Check it when you push gas pedal to make sure you have 12 volts only when gas pedal is pushed. ignition switch of course is on when you test this.

The other wire directly across from red wire which should be yellow goes to center terminal of sending unit. The black wire on gauge goes to terminal on sending unit ( that is the ground wire )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas gauge wires.jpg (26.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
Woods Rider
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help.I have it fixed and everything is working.There was a wire crossed at the battery.
I couldn't figure it out because the cart ran fine.I learned a lot working on it but it was expensive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO