lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
tripletrouble
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 workhorse can't move in soft dirt

Has 22" tires with 4" lift. Goes 24 mph on the street. If I stop in soft dirt it can't get going again. The drive clutch just slips on the belt. Was going to take the drive clutch apart. But thought I'd ask on here if anyone had any ideas before I dig into it and order parts. Think maybe it could be the spring in the clutch?
tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 96 workhorse can't move in soft dirt

how do the clutches look? Are they nice and flat or are they grooved/wavy? IF they're grooved/wavy they are worn and should be replaced.

How's the belt look? Measure it and see, a worn belt will have a huge impact on performance.

Start simple (and cheap). Check/measure parts first for wear and work your way up from there... Inspecting parts is easy and free, and can save you a lot of money in replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
tripletrouble
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply.

When you say "grooved or wavy" do you mean the faces that contact the belt?

I have another belt but it is much longer. It is for a regular txt. When I put it on it just kills the top speed but doesn't help on the bottom end.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The insides of the clutches (sheaves) where the belt rides should be ruler flat and straight. IF they are wavy (commonly referred to as dished out) then they're worn and should be replaced.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
tripletrouble
Not Yet Wild

Oh ok, I will check that when I get home.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

In case you don't know you measure the width of the belt, a new one is 1 3/16" and workhorse takes the same belt as a txt.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
tripletrouble
Not Yet Wild

Checked the clutch faces and they looked good. The belt measures exactly 1 3/16 but the edges are very glazed. Part #27077g02. Think this belt is very old. Put the new belt on part # 72054g01 and it works much better but I lose top speed. Now that I think about it when I first put the new belt on I had stock tires and only went up and down the street. Took it off because it was so slow.

I thought the original belt was stock for a workhorse, that's what was on it when I bought it. Someone along the line must have replaced it. Anyway, what do you guys think about the high torque clutch springs? Or are they just a waste of money. What do you think is the best setup? I'm thinking of just Trying a new 27077g02.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've never had (or needed) a torque spring, and if your issue is that it has a hard time in soft dirt then something ain't right. I'd start with a belt, check the threads (or I'm sure some on here will know the part number) but there's a little bit shorter belt that a lot of folks say helps the down low torque a good bit. The only time my workhorse ever had a "lack of" torque was when I had a very heavy load in the bed, and tried to go up a ditch. It made it up the ditch just fine (it's about 15 feet and really really steep) but it was definitely struggling a bit to get there. Never had a problem when it was empty.

Can you post a video of the clutch operation? Maybe they aren't moving quite right, a video would tell that real easily. Just jack the bed up, put it in neutral and rev the engine up and down a few times so we can see the clutches in action.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...en-clutch.html

There are 2 shorter belts that will work on a 94 - 06 Medalist/txt/workhorse carts.

1st belt is for a Ezgo 89 -91 2cyc cart. Its 41" long, OEM # 22337-G1
At first it will run a little slower but give it some break-in time and you will get back up to speed. This will give you a great low end power for climbing and allow you to maintain your top end speed.

2nd belt is for a Ezgo 1992-1993 2cyc and 1992-1994 4cyc, it is 40 3/4" long, OEM # 27077-G02
This belt is very tight, hard to get on, and needs to run about a week before you can get it off without cutting. It will losen up a little after alot of break-in time. I would say this belt would work the best if you were running in a very wet or muddy place. I had only lost a few mph with this belt after it was broke-in. This belt will make it hard to shift from forward to reverse when stopped on a hill or incline. This problem will diminish over time.

Its very hard to tell the difference between the 2 belts as far as low end power. I will say that the first belt is the one I would use and like best.

Also have you ever adjusted your valves?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Try squeezing the two plates together on the driven clutch. If they tilt towards each other, the center bushing on the clutch is worn. Tat will allow belt slippage under load.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO