lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Comet 94c issues

Hi, I have a Cushman utv max with a 18hp kohler boxer and a comet 94c driver clutch. I just acquired the thing. It runs great other than having a shifter cable issue and the clutch isn't engaging right. The shifter cable isn't really a concern as I intend on replacing it with a heim joint linkage set up. The clutch is my main concern, it is late to engage and sometimes it doesn't engage at all. The engine is governed at 4 grand. I have never been into a puck style clutch before, what should I look for or do to improve it's performance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Alex
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Comet 94c issues

Bump
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i had one on a 16 vanguard and it would get so much dust in it it would bind up.i would pull it apart,clean very good and put it back together.what i finally done on mine was i bought another 2 stroke 94c that run a cover and did some machine work to graph the two together.
mr.ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

I ended up doing a lot of reading on them, and found a wealth of information on them here as well. I plan on cleaning it, check the bushing and see what weight pucks and spring it uses. I am going to try a thorough cleaning first and see if that does the job alone. It is a smooth cover 94c and from what I have gathered from comet, the ribbed cover along with pucks for the ribbed cover can be swapped on to it. I intend on swapping to the ribbed cover possibly with some heavier pucks. My main question now is how to get just the cover off, lots of threads but none real descriptive of how to get just the cover off.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #5
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the best i remember you screw a 1/2 fine thread bolt in the end,hold the clutch between the sheaves,and hit the bolt and the spring inside will push it apart.i did change my spring from white to pink or vice versa and i put weights in all slots,don't remember how heavy,and i ran the ribbed cover,my smooth cover actually warped.hope this helps.
mr.ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

This one is a smooth cover, I think I figured part of the problem out. I believe there is too much spacing between the belt and the movable face when it is idling, Like a 1/2" maybe. I need to pull it apart and see what pucks, spring and spacer it has in it. I was looking at the parts list for one and according to comets parts listings, 9 of the heaviest pucks with the pink spring will start engagement at 1450 rpm. So I think I am going to order them, If it ends up engaging too soon, I can always take three of the pucks out or drill them to take weight off. I will post more when I tear into it along with some pics.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is a pic of it and it's clutch. It need some tlc, but it is a solid start with some potential. I do believe I need to start out by correcting the spacing issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utv max.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg utv max 2.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

I figured my issue out. There is way too much spacing on the primary and it only had four pucks in it. So between it being off balance and having spacing issues, there is my problem. The issue now becomes, the clutch stem is cast into the fixed face, unlike most others where the stem unscrews from the fixed face allowing shims to be installed, allowing different width belts. So, my intentions are to send it to a machine shop and have the flats machined further down the clutch stem, thus pulling the movable face/cover further towards the fixed face which will hopefully fix my spacing issue.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Update: I ordered 6 new 55 gram pucks. I am hoping that in between two of the old pucks being installed wrong and all of them being well worn, hopefully the newly installed, fresh pucks will account for the spacing issue. It is my understanding that most of these are setup for a 1.25" belt which is what is on the machine. So long as the spacing is corrected, the pink spring that is original to this clutch and 6 55 gram pucks, it should start engagement at 1800 rpm. I will report back when they show up and I get it on the cart.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Does anyone here know what kind of secondary these cushmans use? I think it is either a comet 80d or 100d. Mine is in need of the nylon buttons that contact the ramps. I need to know what part # and where I can find them. Mine are non-existent and the ramps are slightly gouged. Any info is much appreciated.

Tags
780, club car, comet, e-z-go, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts