lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
nowashburn
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Gas Club Car Governor?

Ok, So I read the "Speeding up your Club Car" sticky but still can't figure out what 11mm nut to adjust for the governor. The sticky does say that 97 and newer units are in a different location. Can anyone help me out with a little more clarity here? Pictures would be awesome :) Thanks!
nowashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 Gas Club Car Governor?

There's a rod on my 97 that has the 11mm nut stops, you loosen them and make the rod longer.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
nowashburn
Not Yet Wild

Well I am by no means a mechanic but the only 11mm nut I can find near the rear is on an arm that clamps to a small rod that is coming out of the top of the rear. The movement of this rod is restricted which is what I believe is governing the overall top speed of the cart. I do not see how loosening this nut would in any way increase the movement of the rod or bypass it in any way. However, again I am by no means a mechanic so this is a fun learning experience for me. Any help on this is much much appreciated. Below is a picture of what I am looking at on my cart. This is a 99 Gas Club Car:

Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

you can take a zip tie from the governor arm to the trans linkage to hold the governor open. or put a small ziptie on the accel spring right above the clutch on the rear end. or on the front of the engine there is a black box on the bottom held on with 2 10 mm nuts and studs. you can find the ground wire for the gov, and take it off, just tape it or make sure it cant ground out, and reingage the gov.
BGW IS NOT HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURIES CAUSED BY THE REMOVALE OR MODIFICATIONS OF SAFTEY EQUIPMENT! THIS IS WHY ITS A LITTLE HARD TO FIND, OR VERY LITTLE PICTURES TO SHOW HOW TO DO IT! saftey message complete!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

if you do bypass the engine electrical governor, make sure you install a tach meant for single or 2 cyl engines! your engine will start to get in damage zone around 4k rpm! and if i recall correctly, the engine governor is set at 3600 k ! the arm governor on back is speed related. tis is why they have a spring fom the accel to the governor.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
nowashburn
Not Yet Wild

ahhh, i see now. I was thinking / looking for something completely different. I previously had an older Yamaha where all you had to do was literally loosen a nut on the rear to adjust the governor. I assumed this would be the same type of thing I was looking for. I ended up doing something slightly different as I really didn't like the idea of depending on wire ties.

Instead of the wire ties, I completely loosened the governor arm from the small governing rod coming out of the axle to the point where it moved freely. I then put a washer and small coder pin though the hole on top of the rod to make sure the arm would never slide off. This resulted in a complete bypass of the governor and of course the rev limiter would kick in but FOR GOOD REASON. So, to crank it down a bit i SHORTENED the rod that goes from the gas pedal to the black box just to the point where I gained a decent amount of speed but just before the rev limiter kicked in. This took some trial and error, but in the end I ended up in a spot that I was comfortable with.

This is a bit different than the method described in the "Speeding up your Club Car" sticky so if for some reason someone can see any added harm in this method please let me know. Otherwise, if there is no ADDED harm, I must say that I do like this method a little better. Not at all because I thought of it, but more so because it doesn't involve the wire ties. Thanks everyone on this forum for the help and feedback so far.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

black wire ties are uv and heat esistant. the white and color ones ar not. so after time in a heat box, the get brittle and let go or fall apart. im sure there are other way to adjust or bypass gov, i saw a way on here in a video that showed how to pull the axle out, and get rid of the arm entirely. and you tap the housing and put a plug in it as i rember. i have a zip tie on the trans shifter cable to the arm. i can either have it in turbo mode, and get around 22 23 with it, or leave it stock mode and get about 16 to 17mph out of it. turtle mode for neighbors and such, turbo for me and the dog!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car