lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
thetraveller
Not Yet Wild

Default How do Replacement Clutch Springs Work?

Hi:

I have a 2005 Club Car DS that has gotten bad on hills. Engine keeps running but the cart stops going up; especially when loaded with more than two people.

I have put on a new Drive Belt and that helped somewhat.

I am thinking about the Replacement Springs one can get for the Drive and Driven Clutches.

Can anyone explain to me how they help with Hill Climbing ability?

The cart is use at my trailer park; which has a fail number of steep hills.

Thanks in advance.

Ross
thetraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
BigNut77
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How do Replacement Clutch Springs Work?

Not sure what type of clutch you have but...I have a 40 series comet clutch. It started to pulse and not fully dis engage. The belt looked fine so I took the clutch apart. I found one of the springs had become streched and this didnt allow the cluth to function properly. New springs had to be ordered so in the mean time I went to ACE hardward. I was able to match up the springs with some HEAVY DUTY springs and they are a thicker coiled spring (Alot stronger then the cheap springs that came with the clutch)..After the springs were strecthed (just a bit to equal the size of the original springs) the clucth works better like new. It fixed the problem I was having and the cost was a whopping 4 bucks... Its a quick cheap way to test the clutch springs before you go ordering new ones....
BigNut77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
thetraveller
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.

I'm new the whole golf cart scene.

Are you talking about the optional spring for more torque and power or the orginal springs?
thetraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
BigNut77
Not Yet Wild

No...in the comet 40 series, it has 3 springs that hold the roller weights together. As the motor turns the cluch, theses weights roll forcing the clutch to close on the belt.
The spring on the crank should be fine.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
BigNut77
Not Yet Wild

The replacement springs are the same as the original. I personally think the springs I got at ACE are the equal to a heavy duty replacement spring. So far works GREAT!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

WHOA!!!
Stock CC clutches, and Comet clutches are two completely different animals!

traveller... there a 2 different springs for your stock clutches, 1 is for the drive (front) clutch, and the other is for the driven (rear) clutch,

CPP's 200 RPM spring is for your drive (front) clutch, it's a stronger spring that keeps the clutch from closing until it reaches a slightly higher RPM,
which provides more torque going up hills.

Now... CPP's Power Kit is for the driven (rear) clutch, it provides more torque when pulling loaded trailers. (and etc.)

I'm guessing that you may want to try the 200 RPM spring to help get you up those hills with minimal loads!

It's your choice... and I hope this helps with your decision!

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...g-200-rpm.html

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-car-power-kit.html

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
off_sho_cajun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Lockman, if i am looking for a lil more torque just for hauling the cart itself + 4 passengers, would u recommend the 200rpm spring alone? What would be the outcome if both springs were installed?
off_sho_cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I don't have them, but, I'd imagine a boat load of torque, and a lower top speed.
Call and talk to Tom @ Cart Parts Plus... he should be able to help you with what you need!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Copo427ss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Traveler. I would recommend doing the rear clutch spring (driven clutch). As that would keep the clutch closed longer and in a lower gear so to speak. Before I spent the money on the clutch springs, I took my driven clutch apart and drilled out the adjustment holes and wound my spring tighter. But I am suspecting that your clutches are dirty and are in need of a good internal cleaning. Belt dust and dirt will pack in the clutches and make them not open or close right. If your drive clutch (on the engine) is dirty the weights won't swing out like they should and the clutch won't apply the proper tension on the belt. Worn bushings will also affect it. Same goes for the driven clutch. If the slide buttons are wore down to far or the bushings are bad the clutch will get stuck in the open position. Leaving you in a higher gear. So when you get to the hill and the cart starts to slow down the clutch stays stuck open in that high gear and not back shifting to give you the low gear power you need to climb.
If you go to heavier springs you will lose top end speed so keep that in mind. But if you weren't having a problem before and now you are I would suspect dirty clutch internals or worn slides and bushings to be the culprit. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Copo427ss; 09-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Add on
Copo427ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car