lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Default Sorry but its another Jumpy Throttle Thread

Ok sorry for starting yet another jumpy throttle thread, but after reading and searching it seems the OP either never follows up and tells what the issue was or the issue they had doesnt seem to be mine, so here goes.....

05 PDS Lifted, 22 inch tires on 12 inch wheels

I recently upgraded my controller to a 400amp alltrax from scotty and got the HD Solenoid also, got all that installed and WOW. Cart runs great, however it is really jumpy at low throttle, like the first inch of travel. Once i start pressing the pedal it starts to move and if I move the pedal another 1/4 inch its like it wants to pop a wheelie.

So i got on here and read and it sounded like my ITS was out of adjustment, so I check it out with the drill bit like it said in some diagram I read, and it was on the money, so I put it all back together and to my surprise it worked just fine for a few minutes, then back to jumpy again.

At this point I called scotty and he advised me to check the ITS for moisture so I did again and while I was in there I wiped everything real good with a clean cloth, put it all back together again , and again it worked perfect for about 10 minutes, then back to jumping.

So I decided to go ahead and replace all my battery cables with new 2 ga cables, torque went up a ton since I had all 6 ga corroded junk cables on it, but the jumpy condition is now worse since torque is higher.

I thought maybe that because its so cool in my basement (65 deg F) and when I take it outside (98 deg F and humid) that maybe the ITS was fogging over and making the cart do this, but I left it outside today for several hours and got back on it only to have same issue.

Its to the point now where it will almost spin my 22" mojave tires in grass.

It seems that if i open the ITS box and just look at it that it fixes itself momentarily lol.

Things I have checked

All cables new
All cables tight
All batteries are new
Micro is not sticking...(can here it click when i engage throttle if key off)
ITS is properly adjusted
alltrax has stock programming

Guys Im at a loss......any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

thanks JB
budracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Sorry but its another Jumpy Throttle Thread

Does the Alltrax program indicate an ITS throttle?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Good question, I havent even bought a cable yet so I havent hooked it to a computer, but I would assume that since the controller was ordered for a PDS that it would come with whatever settings required for PDS...right??

JB
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You all know my knowledge of electric carts could fit in my hat but could something in the system be heating up in a matter of minutes and causing it to be jerky but be smooth while cool?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
You all know my knowledge of electric carts could fit in my hat but could something in the system be heating up in a matter of minutes and causing it to be jerky but be smooth while cool?
Makes perfect sense, that would explain why it works ok after I work on ITS, and explain why it only stays that way for about 10 minutes, and explain why when I left it out in the blazing heat today it done it right away.

But what?? lol

JB
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't think I have ever heard of this when it was not a moisture or condensation problem, can you test the its output per instruction below when it works good and again when it works bad? This way we can either replace or rule out a faulty ITS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo ITS testing.jpg (107.5 KB, 18 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

intermittent thermal make/break problems are almost always a cold or dry solder joint. as the temperature rises either from ambient increases or resistance at the joint, the solder will expand and break the connection. as it cools, the joint contracts and allows the circuit to complete again.

if its already hot and acting up, you can use freeze spray to localize the problem. or if its cool and working, you can use a hairdryer to try to initiate the fault.

Cold & Fractured Solder Joints
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41qxhvKEWlL._SS500_.jpg (24.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 220px-Cold_solder_joint2.jpg (10.8 KB, 4 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Might be a dirty relay contact. I suspect pedal throttle box. It may clear it self with use. See if it gets worse or better with use.

If it's in the ITS, that would explain the temp fix when you mess with it.
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by budracer1 View Post
Good question, I havent even bought a cable yet so I havent hooked it to a computer, but I would assume that since the controller was ordered for a PDS that it would come with whatever settings required for PDS...right??

JB
Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Check it ASAP. If it's programmed wrong it WILL ACT GOOFY.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Ok did some probing today, but instead of raising the mat to access the white wire in the ITS I just probed it at the controller and it was at 11 volts or so at activation and went down to around 9 volts as I depressed the pedal, IF that test is same as doing it in the box then it sounds like the ITS is bad or does my test sound way off??

thanks JB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO