lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Benv
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 PDS Won't Move

Recently received a 2001 EZ Go PDS that needed some work and was told the controller was bad. Refurbished the frame and components and began put the cart back together. Everything is installed per the service manual with a new controller and still nothing. The solenoid checks out for voltage per the manual but does not click when the key is turned on or the pedal is depressed. I have jumped from the battery to the two small terminals on the solenoid and it makes a click as it is functioning but still no movement on the cart. I have followed through all the 10 pages of electrical volt meter testing per the service manual and it keeps pointing me to a bad controller but it is brand new. What am I missing here? Please help. Could I have a bad controller from the factory or damaged instantly upon first hook up?
Benv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 PDS Won't Move

You will need a DMM test meter and this solenoid activation circuit diagram below to troubleshoot the problem. First see if you can get the solenoid working correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Benv
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. What actually triggers the solenoid? The key or the pedal? Maybe I will just buy a new solenoid and start there.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The diagram shows the sequence of events that activate the solenoid. Buying new parts may or may not fix the problem
A little time with a DMM will tell the tale. Start at the charge receptacle and see where the activation signal stops.... the circuit runs through micro switches at the F&R and the peddle box in addition to the key....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same problem a while back on my PDS. I went round and round, my service manual kept telling me it was a bad controller also. It turned out to be faulty wiring that got chewed up under the cart going from the controller to the pedal box. Once I fixed them everything started working as it should.
bherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benv View Post
.......... What actually triggers the solenoid? The key or the pedal?...................
The controller actually energizes the solenoid, but several conditions have to co-exist for that to happen.

Here they are in the order they typically happen.
1. Reed Switch closed (Battery charger unplugged from cart)
2. Run/Tow switch in RUN
3. Key Switch ON
4. F/R switch in F or R
5. Throttle depressed (Pedal microswitch closes)

1 & 2 and 33& 4 might be reversed, depending on your battery charging and driving habits, but pushing on the throttle is the last thing most people do and if the preceding four conditions aren't met, the cart doesn't move.

Technically, the PDS solenoid activation circuit is the equivalent of a five input "AND" gate.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Benv
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the feed back. Sorry I am a little new to this cart. If power checks out to all of the other items what is the best way to check the throttle sensor?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benv View Post
................. what is the best way to check the throttle sensor?
With a DVM.
Start at step 42 on Page F-15 in manual 28646-G01.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Benv
Not Yet Wild

Finding out I am having some issues in the ten pin J1 connector. Power going in and out for the wire to the key switch. Any idea how to replace this connector?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO