lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default I have to ask about my front wheel alignment problem

My front wheels keep aligning off center. I have realigned my front wheels twice, toe in is 1/8th". What I have done is jack up the front and loosen the shock and front spring hardware, then I give a good kick to a wheel and move everything to one side. Rinse and repeat to make sure everything has freed itself. Then I slowly bring everything to center, a kick at a time. I center the front axle to where everything measures good and lock it all down.

After I take the cart for a ride and park, I notice the wheels have shifted off to one side. I have looked at the leaf springs mounting multiple times and they look good. What I mean by good is I see everything for mounting the springs appear to be parallel and perpendicular with no signs of damage or imposed stress's. Now I have to admit my frame is not perfect but it's nothing which would warrant me to do any action.

Do any of you notice this? Am I taking this to far? Maybe all carts have a wandering axle? Wondering axle, what I mean is the chassis mount for each front spring is a bit wider than the spring itself.

I'm remembering Terry and Colt finding their springs mounting surface needing whacks with a big hammer to correct a problem. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place? But I'm fearing I may have to shim the sides of the chassis mounts if I want the problem corrected. I fear shimming the welded "C" channel will only cause the sides of the channel to bend.

I mounted my fenders to give me enough clearance but in time I get a little rub after I have gone around a few corners at full speed. I really don't want to have to allow for the slop, if that is what I'm thinking it is? My fenders are already a little wider than I want!

What do you guys think? Is this just "what it is"?

Adding a picture just for some color I got my headlights mounted
2012-04-26 18.15.36.jpg
I want to fill in the space between grille and fenders but I need an answer to this question first. If I have to widen my fenders more I will.

Best Regards
Gonkulor
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I have to ask about my front wheel alignment problem

I'm more into electrical stuff than mechanical stuff, but have you tried deliberately misaligning it and letting it correct itself when weight is applied?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm more into electrical stuff than mechanical stuff, but have you tried deliberately misaligning it and letting it correct itself when weight is applied?
You funny guy

I guess I should just ask if all carts have this symptom of mfg? Here are two pictures of where I think the trouble is. These pictures are of the front springs mounted to the frame. Each spring is attached with 3 bolts and retainer plate. The rear bolt goes thru the spring to the retainer plate. The forward 2 bolts pass along side of the springs and go thru the retainer. In each picture you can see a little bit of space between the side of the spring and the bolt.

2012-04-27 21.29.13.jpg

2012-04-27 21.29.58.jpg

I'm saying this is where my problem is and I need to know if others have this or if it's uncommon. If it's normal I will work around it. If it's uncommon I will shim as appropriate.

Best Regards
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Shon,

Is the spring shifting where it attaches to the frame? I see the little bit a space you are referring to............but as long as the mount is tight and there is not movement I can't imagine this would be your problem.

I would like to see more pictures of your setup where the kingpin attaches to the shock absorber and where that attaches to the cart. From the pics you showed earlier, it looked suspect to me.
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Based on your description and the photos, I would say it is what it is. It probably is never noticed on a stock cart, but you have those renders to indicate the issue for you.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I saw a diagram in one of the service manuals about getting the front axle square with frame by measuring the diagonals between the front-most and rear-most bolts on the springs.

The three bolts on the mounting brackets form triangles and the bolts at the peaks of said triangles are four corners of the rectangle whose diagonals have to be equal, so I suspect the two bolts remaining bolts in each mounting bracket would have some clearances so the axle to frame squareness could be adjusted.

BTW - I wasn't joking. I've occasionally had to use a little "Kentucky Windage" when an adjustment shifts between being in position for adjusted and actually being in position for use.
IE: Adjusting a tripod head while using a camera with a long lens.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, front wheel alignment, steering issues, wheel centering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO