lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What's the Voltage of My Lights?

How can I figure out the voltage of my headlights on my cart? I just bought the cart and want to hookup an aftermarket pair of headlights that are on the cart already. I just need to know how many of the batteries I should run the the lights through. Just a quick test showed the lights getting brighter and brighter as I connected it through more batteries. So can I run it through the entire 36 volts or will this cause issues. Is there a way to determine what the lights are supposed to be run through voltage wise? Thanks for the help.
mechanix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What's the Voltage of My Lights?

The bulb itself should have the voltage marked on it.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's a 12-Volt, says right there on the bulb. Thank you very much. So I should probably invest in a 36V to 12V converter huh?
mechanix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

....or tap off of TWO 6 volt batteries to power the lights.....
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you "tap off" two of the six volt batteries, (very common practice), use the two that are located the farthest from the leads going to the controller. It's not hard, since the two batteries are already connected to make 12 volts. Just connect the positive lead(s) to the positive of one of the batteries and the negative to the negative lead of the other connected battery.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Chloe
Can I ask why the lights should be connected to the batteries furthest from the controller? I currently have mine hooked up to the front passenger side and centre.

Thanks
Meash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meash View Post
Chloe
Can I ask why the lights should be connected to the batteries furthest from the controller? I currently have mine hooked up to the front passenger side and centre.

Thanks
Any two electrically adjacent batteries will work. The passenger side batteries get a little busy with charging cables, but the way you've got your battery pack tapped for 12V is as good as any other.

One reason I can think of for tapping the driver side front/rear batteries for 12V would be that you'd already have the wires in the correct general vicinity when you later install a separate 12V battery for accessories or a DC-DC voltage reducer in front of the driver side wheel well.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB

I never thought of installing a 12v battery for accessories.. what a great idea. I was thinking what I could put in that empty space.
If I do put a 12V in there, can it be hooked up to charge while I'm charging the 6V batteries using the cart charger?
Meash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No...you will need a separate 12volt charger.
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would like to jump in here and suggest another option. 36 volt H3 halogen bulbs are available which fit these fog lights. I chose this option because I really didn't want a 36 to 12 v. converter as I don't plan to add any other accessories, and I really didn't want to unbalance my battery pack. Also, I wanted to keep things simple. I really don't use lights very often and so far this has worked fine for me . Hope this doesn't confuse things for you. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO