lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Default ScottyBs gauge question

Alright, i installed the gauge from Scotty B and I love it. it is great. Cart is a 95 36 volt EZ-GO.

However, i have one big question. I installed brand new trojan batteries a month ago.
The first few times I took it off a charge the gauge read in the high 38- to low 39. I have charged it probably 3 times now.

I have been using the diagram i was given when installing the gauge. Well, this last charge, when i pulled it off it read 38. I drove it around a little (not much at all), and resting state is in the 37.9 - 38.0 area.

Going up a hill on a full charge before (in the last week or so) I never dipped below 35.1, now I am well below 35.
Is this attributed to a battery inconsistency, or do you all think there is a problem??
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ScottyBs gauge question

It could just be your wording, but?
Are you saying you are taking the cart off the charge? OR, are you saying you are letting the charger finish and letting the batteries sit for several hours before you take said readings?
If you are letting the charger finish and letting the batteries sit 12hours. The starting readings should be the same. If you are not allowing the same settling times, after the charger shuts off, then the amount of settling will vary and this will give falsely higher readings. I hope this helps more than confuses the issue. Scotty
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
........................However, i have one big question. I installed brand new trojan batteries a month ago.
The first few times I took it off a charge the gauge read in the high 38- to low 39. I have charged it probably 3 times now.

I have been using the diagram i was given when installing the gauge. Well, this last charge, when i pulled it off it read 38. I drove it around a little (not much at all), and resting state is in the 37.9 - 38.0 area.

Going up a hill on a full charge before (in the last week or so) I never dipped below 35.1, now I am well below 35.
Is this attributed to a battery inconsistency, or do you all think there is a problem??
The problem is highlighted in RED

If you installed new batteries 30 days ago, they should have been fully charged 31 times by now.
Once before first use and once each day for the last thirty days!

Since you've only charged the new batteries 3 times in the month they've been installed:
At best, they are not being broken in properly.
At worst, you are killing them.

Obviously, you cannot fully charge them before first use, but you can still try to break them in properly and you might still get pretty close to the max storage capacity.
Here is how to break them in. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While there, read everything with the word "Battery" in the title. Lots of good info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnnieb, that is a question I have had for a little while. If new batteries are installed one should run the batteries down and recharge every day for the first 20 to 30 days, or just make sure the batteries are fully charged after each use for the first 20 to 30 cycles?

Thanks,
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Scotty I have been allowing charger to finish before unplugging. I have checked voltage hours later, and right after I have taken it off (that all has depended on whether or not i just unplugged the cart and left it or unplugged and used it)

Johnnie B, thats good to hear. Thanks for the help. Crap, I wish I had done that. Oh well I hope I didnt mess them up too bad.
I looked back, the batteries were new on April 20, so its been about 20 days. I would say I have used the cart probably 15-16 times since, and have charged probably 6 or 7 now I really think about it (i just always waited till i hit the 75-80% zone, sometimes it happened in a day others after a few)
Is it too late or should I run it daily and charge it every night for the next 10 days or so???

I remember reading the link you posted. I remember reading that I should discharge the batteries to 75% of capacity. Then I needed to plug it up and let it charge completely.

Does this mean i need to run it down every day 75-80% and charge it? I dont drive it daily, some days more than others.
Or as TheWiltz puts it "fully charged after each use"?

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use em or loose em. Wet cell batteries need proper use and recharge. Discharge as little as 10% or as much as 30% and recharge daily.
Trojan says their batteries can take as many as 150 cycles to reach their FULLest potential.
Common belief is that the greatest increase is realized closer to 50 cycles. Gains may be slight after that. Use the meter and the State of Charge chart you got with it to determine your usage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiltz View Post
Johnnieb, that is a question I have had for a little while. If new batteries are installed one should run the batteries down and recharge every day for the first 20 to 30 days, or just make sure the batteries are fully charged after each use for the first 20 to 30 cycles?

Thanks,
Fully charged batteries can't tell time, so it's more cycle based than day based.

For maximum storage capacity (New batteries only have about 75% of their maximum capacity), only discharge the batteries lightly before charging for the first couple dozen, or so, uses.
Lightly is an ambiguous term, but I take it to mean no more than about 5 miles or nine holes of golf before charging or stay above about 80% SoC.

For maximum life span, you want to keep your batteries as close to fully charged as possible forever and always.
If you use the cart daily charge the batteries nightly.
If you don't use the cart daily, charge the batteries on the nights of the days it was used.
Cart batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day and sitting with less than about 70% State of charge kills them, so charge at least every month when not in use.
(Or use a battery charger with float or trickle modes)

Once the batteries are broken in, you can use them harder and longer, but discharging below 50% SoC is a no-no and never let them sit in a partially discharged state any longer than necessary.

Added: I used the term "Couple dozen, or so" describing how many time new batteries should be "lightly" discharged to break them in. That is when the most increase is realized, but like scottyb said, Trojan and other manufactures say the "maturing" process lasts for over a hundred cycles.

The trick is to intentionally break in your batteries and then keep them as close to fully charged and as well maintained as your lifestyle permits and you'll get the maximum storage capacity, performance and life expectancy from your batteries that your specific lifestyle can produce.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-10-2012 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Scottyb and Johnnyb: Thank you very much gentlemen. It is all making a ton of sense to me now. I screwed up for a few weeks looks like. However, i will get it right now

Kind of funny, I own a bassboat that runs 3 - 12 volt batteries. I have been following the protocol you described (charge after each use, and charge monthly when not being used) since I have had it without knowing. I should have taken the same approach with the cart.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
99txt
Not Yet Wild

After reading this thread I think I need to start charging my batteries every night. Most days I only drive a average of .5 mile some a lil more.
99txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks JB and SB, seems this thread has helped a bunch of people. I have read alot about charging and have been doing it correctly. :)
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO