lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help EZGO Wont go EZ

I am in va
hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood23113 View Post
Hey Johnnie, their is 2 small wires coming out of the charge port, one is hooked up but one is not. I dont know why it is not hooked up but it is nothing that I messed with so it has been like that since I got the cart and been fine. I dont know alot about electronics so you kinda lose me in this stuff. I think it is a 3 way key switch. Id it posible that the batteries are that low,(I dont think so) but I guess I can charge and see what happens. I dont know alot about carts or the controlers, but the plug that goes to the key switch from the controler has no power on any points, should it and when should it light up my test light?? When on the gas pedal or only when switch is on or all the time???? Do you think the controller went bad. I gotta have my cart this weekend. Also what is the reed switch. Thank you again
Your batteries are probably high enough to make the solenoid click, but charge them anyway.
Seriously, letting batteries sit in a semi-discharged state kills them.
For maximum battery life, keep them charged as high as possible and/or practical.
(If I use my cart, it goes on the charger that night. If I don't use it, it stays on float charge.)

If I am correct, your cart was working before you tried to attach the radio to the keyswitch and now the solenoid doesn't click, even though the radio has been disconnected and the wires put back in their original positions.

With the keyswitch On and the F/R switch in either F or R, the solenoid should click when the throttle pedal is pushed.
If it doesn't, 36V probably isn't getting to the solenoid coil.

I'm not overly fond of using a test light, but if it lights up when you attach is across the battery pack, it ought to work to find out where the 36V that ought to be going to the solenoid coil goes missing.

Apparently a previous owner has done some rewiring, so the first place to check is on the microswitches mounted on the F/R switch.
With one test lead attached to the negative post on the right-rear battery, as shown in attached drawing, you should get 36V (or the test light should glow) when you touch the other test lead to either end of the wire that goes between the two microswitches on the F/R switch.

If you aren't getting 36V there, run a jumper wire from the positive post on the right-front battery (B+) to that point and try the cart.
Even if cart still doesn't run, you should now have the reverse beeper working when you put F/R switch in R.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Oops - wrong drawing - corrected.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

With the key on and in gear, the only clicking I hear is under the floor at the pedal. The solenoid mounted to the controler is not clicking. And yes I see now that the reed switch has been by passed. I still think there is a problem at the switches. There is no power at the key switch or the F/R, and I have no buzzer now either. Is the power for that switch coming throught the solenoid, if that is bad then it would not transmit the power throught to the switches. I traced the white wire with a yellow tracer on it coming from the controler to the key switch and there is no power. I really think the controler took a crap or somehow got damaged
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
With the key on and in gear, the only clicking I hear is under the floor at the pedal. The solenoid mounted to the controler is not clicking. And yes I see now that the reed switch has been by passed. I still think there is a problem at the switches. There is no power at the key switch or the F/R, and I have no buzzer now either. Is the power for that switch coming throught the solenoid, if that is bad then it would not transmit the power throught to the switches. I traced the white wire with a yellow tracer on it coming from the controler to the key switch and there is no power. I really think the controler took a crap or somehow got damaged
Ouch, I might be mixed up here. What kind of cart do you have, Series, or PDS, or DCS?

For some reason I thought you had a series drive cart, but yellow/white wires to keyswitch says DCS or PDS.

If you worked on the electrical wiring on a PDS or DCS without flipping the Run/Tow switch on controller cover to "Tow", the controller might be toast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea it is a 1998 EZGO PDS, decal on side says Presision Drive System...So you think the controler went bad. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get one and what am I looking for
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a fresh rebuilt one i can send but we need to make sure that's the problem. Did you accidently flip the tow run switch to tow mode maybe?
1fastbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yea it is a 1998 EZGO PDS, decal on side says Presision Drive System...So you think the controler went bad. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get one and what am I looking for
I'm pretty sure 1998 and PDS don't go together. In spite of what the decal says please confirm you have a f/R switch on the dash and a run/tow switch on the controller.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He has sent me some pics and its a PDS. I didnt even catch the year.
1fastbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I'm pretty sure 1998 and PDS don't go together. In spite of what the decal says please confirm you have a f/R switch on the dash and a run/tow switch on the controller.
Yes it is a 1998 PDS, yes black toggle on the dash, tow/maint. or run switch on the controler cover. Buuttttt, I was talking to a local cart shop today, and me describing the controler to him, he said someone has put a 2000 model or newer controller in this 98 cart and it already had a torque chip installed. He seems to think it is a ground but I have power coming into the controller but nothing coming out on the white wire with yellow tracer that is going to the key switch. He said the controllers will go bad if you look at them wrong and us messing with the key switch without the batts disconnected may have done it. New controller will be here Wednesday. I dont know what else to do. The reed swith has already been bypassed on this cart.

1fastbuggy, thank you very much for the offer of tring your contoller but I was running out of time so I got one coming, ouch $310 lesson learned. Now I am scared to death to touch anything electrical on this cart...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
.................Now I am scared to death to touch anything electrical on this cart............
A little fear is healthy, but don't be scared.

Just remember to put the Run/Tow switch in "Tow" whenever you're working on the cart and disconnect battery before disconnecting any wires.

Basically, I flip the switch whenever I raise the seat to do anything. (Cart seat that is.)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO