lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Default Guy says PW charger won't shut off - how do I diagnose?

When i got my second cart (97 TXT which needed some love) the guy i bought it from told me that the charger worked, but wouldn't turn off, and that he thought it was a pretty cheap fix (yeah, right)

I used my the charger that came with my '98 (also a PW, dunno if these are the same model) and all seems well, so I am not in a major bind.

Now I am getting around to fixing the charger. However, I'm a little unsure about just plugging up a cart and seeing what goes wrong. Seems like over charging batteries could be a bad thing. I'm a newbie, and I'm not really sure what should actually happen yet.

Any ideas as to how to handle this?
KY Gun Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Guy says PW charger won't shut off - how do I diagnose?

When you say you used your 2nd charger and 'all seems well' do mean to say it shut off? If yes, then plug the 1st charger that won't shut off in and monitor the batteries, voltage should eventually reach 44-46v and the charger should shut off. If the charger runs for 16 hours plus or the charger gets hot (not warm) to touch, you may need a new circuit board.
Check the water levels in each cell before you start & Monitor the battery voltage to make sure they don't get above 48v. Lets call that number the red line!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Yep - the 2nd charger cycled and turned off.

I have not even attempted a charge with the suspect one.

Any idea of the cost of a board? Where can I get them?
KY Gun Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ok, so first things first...does suspect charger's meter move when plugged in or are you just hearing and click and humming/vibrating...if meter doesnt move you need a capacitor in charger...if meter moves and it doesnt shut off you need board which is part number 28667-g01 from any e-z go dealer or nivel part # 9012 from any other golf cart dealer...this is assuming your batteries are good as mentioned above which other charger turning off suggest...hope this helps...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

also board should run you between $100-$130 depending where you get it from and is pretty easy to install...dealer will most likely charger you $50-80 dollars to install if you dont do it...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like the the relay inside the charger is bypassed. (Common "fix" when the control board bites the dust)

A quick check for this is just plug charger into AC outlet without plugging into cart. If it comes on (Transformer hums), the relay is bypassed.

If it doesn't come on, unplug it from AC outlet and plug charger plug into cart's charging receptacle. If the battery pack voltage is 30V or above, you should hear the relay inside charger click about 3-5 seconds after you plug it into cart.

If it passes both of those tests, let it charge battery pack and monitor the on-charge voltage as Scotty suggested.

BTW: The Powerwise and Powerwise Plus chargers from that era are good chargers.
They're built like tanks and 100% repairable.
If needed, the control board cost <$100.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
ok, so first things first...does suspect charger's meter move when plugged in or are you just hearing and click and humming/vibrating...if meter doesnt move you need a capacitor in charger...if meter moves and it doesnt shut off you need board which is part number 28667-g01 from any e-z go dealer or nivel part # 9012 from any other golf cart dealer...this is assuming your batteries are good as mentioned above which other charger turning off suggest...hope this helps...

FWIW: If transformer hums and ammeter doesn't move, it's most likely blown diode(s) or fuse(s).
Low amps is the symptom of a bad capacitor.

If the unloaded, open circuit voltage of the ferroresonant transformer secondary is in the 93-97VAC range, the capacitor is good, if it is in 55-65VAC range, it's bad or disconnected.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

good correction def should have put May need capacitor...I replace these daily :-)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so I have the same senerio. PW charger when first plugged into carts recepticle, it may show 20 plus amps, it has charged all night and is now reading like 7amps, but charger is still humming and I hear the acid in the batteries boiling.

It has never just shut off. At what point on the gauge is my batteries fully charged. Or are they, and there is just something kooky with my charger?
stewmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Magoo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
When you say you used your 2nd charger and 'all seems well' do mean to say it shut off? If yes, then plug the 1st charger that won't shut off in and monitor the batteries, voltage should eventually reach 44-46v and the charger should shut off. If the charger runs for 16 hours plus or the charger gets hot (not warm) to touch, you may need a new circuit board.
Check the water levels in each cell before you start & Monitor the battery voltage to make sure they don't get above 48v. Lets call that number the red line!
Your charger may just be doing it's job. What is the pack voltage?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO