lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Lug Stud Broke Loose

With a little research. The answer is air chisel.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #12
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I have used a Dremel with a small cut wheel (1") to cut a screwdriver slot in a loose stud. There should be enough room to fit this into the wheel. Tape the wheel so if you slip, you don't mess up the wheel. After you get a slot cut in the stud you should be able to hold the stud with a screwdriver and get the nut off, or hold the nut and turn the stud off.
Do you have cap style lug nuts or regular ones? If you've got regular ones then I recommend this method. If you've got cap style ones then I'm not too sure on what you can do.

jjance - can you clarify on where you'd use the air chisel? The lug nuts in question are recessed in a well on the wheel (not standard golf cart wheels) from what I gather. I don't think there's room to get an air chisel in there from the front, and there's no way to access the rear to get to anything...
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Ok let's see if this hair brained ideal will work. Put the socket on the lug nut to use as a guide. Now take a good drill and as large a bit as you can get in the hole of the back of the socket and drill the guts out of the lug / wheel stud. If I am correct the stud is 1/2 inch. You should be able to use close to a 1/2 inch bit. This should allow you to just snap what is left out.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Ok let's see if this hair brained ideal will work. Put the socket on the lug nut to use as a guide. Now take a good drill and as large a bit as you can get in the hole of the back of the socket and drill the guts out of the lug / wheel stud. If I am correct the stud is 1/2 inch. You should be able to use close to a 1/2 inch bit. This should allow you to just snap what is left out.
^^^This. It will take a while, but it's about the best idea I've heard so far considering your predicament with the recess of the lug nuts. You might use some oil or tapfree every once in a while just to keep the heat down and make the bit last a little longer.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #15
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was thinking the same thing as mrgolf.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
. . . believe it or not, there is an actual tool for this . . .

Lug Ripper
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Is that a real tool or an app.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

@93Yellowclubcar. I few months ago I seen this thread and i made mental note to myself to remember it in case I ever need it. I don't know if the method works or not, I don't know what kind of wheels the person has.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ck-lugnut.html
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

That just what I was thinking. Glad to see it will really work.

Thanks jjance
Old 02-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
nickskater09
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Can you stick a socket over the nut and kinda pry sideways enough to wedge the stud so that it doesn't turn when you loosen the nut? I had some success at this method one time that this happened to me.
We tried this with the biggest pry bar we could find and it still wouldn't get the lug to grab enough.

Quote:

I like this idea the best. I'll take destroying a socket over replacing a whole axle any day. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll try to report back with results when we get to it.
nickskater09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car