lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
NickC
Not Yet Wild

Default 98' Club Car DS 48 Volt Stutter

I have a 1998 Club Car DS. It has been working fine for a long time but in the middle of use it stopped and now when I use the accelerator it makes a noise as if its trying to go and even jerks forward randomly but will not go. Sometimes the low battery indicator light would light up even after a long charge.

From what I have read on these forums and elsewhere the likely problem is the controller. Considering the price of a controller I want to be very sure that is the problem.

Here are some things I have already tried:
Check all batteries for full voltage - They have full voltage
Cleaned all the batteries, the contacts and wires - No Change
Bypassed the solenoid - No Change
Filled batteries with water and let charge fully - No Change.

Here is some pictures

I have video of the cart clicking/sputtering but I can't post links for another 5 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707141241a.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0709140920.jpg (186.5 KB, 0 views)
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 98' Club Car DS 48 Volt Stutter

90% of the time when someone uses the terms "shuddering or stuttering" the problem is traced to bad battery(s) - far more often than controller. After a full charge - put a voltmeter on your pack (report the voltage on this site) and while looking at the meter, step on the accelerator - does the voltage drop severely? Then, put the voltmeter on each battery individually and do the same thing.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
huthut
Not Yet Wild

Agreed - I have had the same problem in the past and always occurred with old batteries.
huthut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
NickC
Not Yet Wild

I checked the batteries once and they all had 8 volts. I'll try checking while using the accelerator.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
NickC
Not Yet Wild

Alright so i found the problem and fixed it, here's what happened.

I was checking the whole chain of batteries for voltage and was getting 48-50. While checking it I hit the accelerator and it went fine. Did it again but it didn't run well like it did just before.

Turns out while checking the positive side I was making the connection 'good' again. It was a complete fluke I just happen to be checking the positive side in such a way to move the wire just so making it constant. Turns out about 2 inches of the positive wire going from the battery to the solenoid was SEVERELY corroded but underneath the jacket of the wire where it wasn't seen. So I had to replace the wire and now it works fine.

So thanks joesam for the suggested method that led me to finding the problem!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool. Glad you found it. Way cheaper than batteries or controller.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car ds, jerking, sputter, stutter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car