lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger problems...

I have a 1997 48 volt club car DS. I just installed new batteries in it. The cart runs out fine and acts ok till I go to charge it. I plug the charger in and it will kick on and then off and then back on. After it does that it will charge for about 10 min and then cut off. I can unplug the charger from the cart then the wall and wait a min and then plug it back up and then it will run and charge like it's supposed to. Every now and then I can move the ground wire that runs through the computer and it will kick on and start charging.. But tonight it would not do anything but run for about 3 min then cut off no matter what I did.

Is the computer the problem? If so is there a way to bypass with a different style charger or with this charger or do I have to replace the computer?

Thanks in advance for all the help.. It is greatly appreciated as I am pretty new to the cart world..
Hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charger problems...

If u wiggled the neg cable running thru the obc and it kicked on i would first check for all connections are tight...especially at the controller & batteries.
Second go to the stickies and perform the obc reset process. Third if u still have issues then perform the obc bypass. The bypass process removes safety feature...so the cart can move while charging.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ishould be clear it would move with key on and go pedal pressed. It won't or shouldn't just take off on its own during the obc bypass while charging.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Where can I find the reset procedure to do the reset on the cart? I checked connections and everything is tight. Also when I replaced Batterys I upgraded cables and cleaned all other connections and made sure they were tight. I double checked last night and they are still tight. So I guess I need to do the reset. One thing I failed mention is I bought this cart about 4 weeks ago and it had been sitting for a solid year.. The charger was just sitting on the shelf.. So I don't if that plays into this problem or not..
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheaded View Post
Where can I find the reset procedure to do the reset on the cart? I checked connections and everything is tight. Also when I replaced Batterys I upgraded cables and cleaned all other connections and made sure they were tight. I double checked last night and they are still tight. So I guess I need to do the reset. One thing I failed mention is I bought this cart about 4 weeks ago and it had been sitting for a solid year.. The charger was just sitting on the shelf.. So I don't if that plays into this problem or not..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tting-obc.html . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you mentioned both upgraded cables and wiggling the negative seems to have an effect on the charging cycle ... did you by any chance force the new cable or tried to enlarge the OBC hole the negative goes thru?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since you mentioned both upgraded cables and wiggling the negative seems to have an effect on the charging cycle ... did you by any chance force the new cable or tried to enlarge the OBC hole the negative goes thru?
I did not upgrade the negative that runs through the OBC. That one and the positive is still the factory wire. I wasn't sure if I could upgrade those..
Old 09-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheaded View Post
I did not upgrade the negative that runs through the OBC. That one and the positive is still the factory wire. I wasn't sure if I could upgrade those..
You need to upgrade all the 6 gauge cables otherwise your system is being limited by any 6 gauge still in the circuit. Important for the new cable to pass through the OBC. No need to upgrade the red charger wire.
Golfdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Reset complete. So far so good. Did not have to mess with anything and the charger kicked right on. So I'll keep an eye on it and hope that took care of the problem.. Thanks for all the info..

Now on replacing those final cables in the battery system and upgrading those also. What size wire will fit through the computer? And does the positive lead need to be done? If I'm doing those then what about the rest of the wires?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car