lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Default No charging

I just finished repainting my 97 CC 48V buggy.

I stripped it off all hardware, sanded and painted it. Came out nice.

Only problem, its been sitting off the charger for over a month, and I went to charge it last night and the box comes on, but quieter, and the needle doesnt come off 0

Now, I didnt do anything to the batts or wires. The only thing I did was loosen the four screws on the charger socket, pulled it out about a half inch, taped it so I could shoot behind it. Didnt disconnect anything.

I checked the volts on the batts, all are reading 8.48 to 8.52, except two that are reading 8.18 and 8.20.

These two batts are also bulging a bit. I dont have any other testing gear other than the Voltmeter. Soooo, wondering if these two batts are gone, and need replacing. Or something else going on.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: No charging

Bulging is bad! But those voltages should be high enough for the charger to kick in.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
sunking
Gone Wild

Bulging batteries are toast, but it sounds like you might have somehow disengaged the safety interlock switch when you moved the plug around.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Bulging batteries are toast, but it sounds like you might have somehow disengaged the safety interlock switch when you moved the plug around.
Dont even know what or where that is Im guessing on the back of the plug.

The charger does click and comes on - hums very faintly, doesnt move the needle. Its doing something, but just not kicking in like it should.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check the fuse on the negative pin of the charger socket.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Check the fuse on the negative pin of the charger socket.
Thx
Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

First rule of electricity, check your connections.
Last thing I did before driving it into the shop to paint was dumb baking soda on the batts and hosed it off. The batts and connectors were really clean!
I checked my fuse at the charger plug, good, checked my total volts across the batts, only 25, with all batts showing above 8V? I decided to clean all the terminals just in case as the soda and water had caused some rusting.
Last cable came off in my hand. It looked great, but came apart. I guess the baking soda and water ate away the last internal corrosion that was making a connection? It is charging fine now. Never judge cable by it jacket!

Here are some pics of my reworked buggy. I have new light blue on dark blue seat covers comeing and a new chrome faced light kit.
The paint was left over from my 67 Mustang project so I figured I would paint the buggy to match the car.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nice paint job. I wish i could do that kind of stuff. Do you build up the clear coat to avoid the bump at the tape lines?
Whats on the column?
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
Nice paint job. I wish i could do that kind of stuff. Do you build up the clear coat to avoid the bump at the tape lines?
Whats on the column?
Looks like a speedo?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
Nice paint job. I wish i could do that kind of stuff. Do you build up the clear coat to avoid the bump at the tape lines? The stripes are painted not tape, but you can clear over certain 3M tape pin stripes.
Whats on the column?
Thanks! Yep, its acrylic enamel with about four coats of clear acrylic enamel. Overkill but it makes a nice finish, still need to wet sand and buff it.

The gauge is just an empty cup, the old paint scheme was a drag car/gasser vibe so the gauge is just left over crap from my Mustang used for looks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car