lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
curtis1512
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery voltage?

36 volt.

I think I have a bad battery of bad cable. First off, my charger never shut off after 18 hours. I tested across the batteries and couldn't get a reading. I tested the first battery and got 6.82, second 6.75, third 6.92, fourth 5.94, fifth 6.32, last 6.23. I check them again with keeping the pos on the first battery and only moving the neg to the next battery. The volts increased by six or more until I touched the fourth battery. The volts dropped, didn't increace. Then I did the same test from the other side. Only moving the pos to the next battery. Same results, the volts dropped after the fourth battery.
Batteries are new in May.
Curt
curtis1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery voltage?

A couple simple test you could do... Remove what you think might be the offending battery cable and do a continuity test to find its resistance. Take the offending cable and move it to another location to see if the problem moves with it. And/or take the offending battery and move it to either the primary # 1 or # 6 locations and see it the problem moves with. Be sure to check your water levels and well as the specific gravity of your batteries to which # 4 will surely test low right now.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis1512 View Post
I tested the first battery and got 6.82, second 6.75, third 6.92, fourth 5.94, fifth 6.32, last 6.23.
4th battery is shot to start with.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
curtis1512
Not Yet Wild

Even if the battery was bad and showing 5.94, wouldn't I still get a reading across all the batteries? I have all new cables on order. I'll replace them first. Then replace the battery if no results.

One more thing, the cart will go in reverse, slowly. When I try to go forward, I only hear the solenoids clicking. Is this because of low volts?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Reverse is half voltage normally. Do the cable moving test. May want to pull on the cables fairly hard to make sure connections are good. Also make sure there is no corrosion. Battery four may be shot but sometimes you can bring it back for a while at least. I am willing to bet it is a bad cable because I had the exact issue with a 93 I had.
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 4th battery is shot - put the meter on it and try to go (battery under load) ..... I bet it drops another 2v indicating a dead cell.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
curtis1512
Not Yet Wild

thanks all, the batteries are still under warranty. I purchased new cables too. I'll work on it next week.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis1512 View Post
The volts increased by six or more until I touched the fourth battery. The volts dropped, didn't increace.
Sounds like the 4th battery is in backwards? Can you post a decent photograph of the battery compartment?
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car