lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Havaday
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 ezgo will not start has no solenoid click

My 2001 gas operated ezgo is having a issue that I cannot figure out. When you push the pedal it literally does nothing. I have 12.5 volts DC for the battery to the top side of one terminal on the solenoid. When you press the pedal the voltage goes away. However, I don’t have voltage on the bottom positive side of the solenoid the energize the coil. That specific terminal has a blue wire from the key switch and a red and a orange and white from the ignitor. I have replace both the solenoid and ignitor. I also had continuity through the key switch, foot pedal, and gear selector switch. I am completely at a loss as to what to do. Also I have tested the starter generator it is good as well as made sure the fuse was good. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Havaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
martytilma
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 ezgo will not start has no solenoid click

I'm having somewhat of the same issue. When pressing the pedal, the start/generator will not turn over. Here is what I've tested so far....

The battery is brand new. We tested the voltage to the starter/generator first. When I pressed the pedal, we would get 12v at the terminal on the starter generator. So I assumed the SG was bad and bought a brand new one. Hooked it all up and have the same issue. Won't turn over when you press the pedal even though we are getting 12v to the SG.

My Father is a small engine repair mech and this has him stumped.
martytilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havaday View Post
My 2001 gas operated ezgo is having a issue that I cannot figure out. When you push the pedal it literally does nothing. I have 12.5 volts DC for the battery to the top side of one terminal on the solenoid. When you press the pedal the voltage goes away. However, I don’t have voltage on the bottom positive side of the solenoid the energize the coil. That specific terminal has a blue wire from the key switch and a red and a orange and white from the ignitor. I have replace both the solenoid and ignitor. I also had continuity through the key switch, foot pedal, and gear selector switch. I am completely at a loss as to what to do. Also I have tested the starter generator it is good as well as made sure the fuse was good. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The black wire on the small terminal of the solenoid should be ground. Orange should go 12v when you press the pedal. If it doesnt, check the pedal.switch connector inside the pedal box under the floor mat. Water gets in there and gives a bad connection on the spade connector causing it to show continuity. But when the load (albeit small) is presented from the coil, the continuity is not strong enough for it to pass through. Same thing happens when this switch goes bad. You could also try a jumper between the 2 terminals at the pedal.switch, the cart will start as soon as you turn the key on.

To test the solenoid, disconnect the orange wire and jumper 12v straight from the positive battery terminal to the small post on the solenoid. Starter should spin.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by martytilma View Post
I'm having somewhat of the same issue. When pressing the pedal, the start/generator will not turn over. Here is what I've tested so far....

The battery is brand new. We tested the voltage to the starter/generator first. When I pressed the pedal, we would get 12v at the terminal on the starter generator. So I assumed the SG was bad and bought a brand new one. Hooked it all up and have the same issue. Won't turn over when you press the pedal even though we are getting 12v to the SG.

My Father is a small engine repair mech and this has him stumped.
Check your ground. And make sure its wired correct. And make sure to use an OEM starter/generator. If it says dynamo anywhere on it, throw it in the garbage or send it back to where you bought it from. It wont last a month.

Also, you should open a new thread and not clutter others for more responses. Cutting and pasting the same response into a handful of existing threads just makes future searches for other people more difficult
Old 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
martytilma
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Check your ground. And make sure its wired correct. And make sure to use an OEM starter/generator. If it says dynamo anywhere on it, throw it in the garbage or send it back to where you bought it from. It won't last a month
So the ground could be bad and we'd still get 12v showing at the SG when we press the pedal?

Sorry about the duplicate post, this has me super frustrated and desperately looking for an answer :)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by martytilma View Post
So the ground could be bad and we'd still get 12v showing at the SG when we press the pedal?

Sorry about the duplicate post, this has me super frustrated and desperately looking for an answer :)
Yes. Just because you have power going somewhere doesn't mean anything if theres no path to ground to complete the circuit.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
martytilma
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes. Just because you have power going somewhere doesn't mean anything if theres no path to ground to complete the circuit.
Ok, thanks for the tip. That makes sense and maybe explains why the cart will sometimes work. When I took it out of storage for the winter it worked just fine. Then suddenly it stopped. A few days later I was going to load it up on my trailer to take to my dads, and it suddenly started to work again. So I brought it to my dads to perform a tuneup on it and everything worked just fine. Again, a couple days later I went to load it up again to take it home and it quit working. That was with the old/original S/G so maybe that isn't the issue as I'm having the same issue with a brand new one. Again thanks for the tips, I'll see what I come up with.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Havaday
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The black wire on the small terminal of the solenoid should be ground. Orange should go 12v when you press the pedal. If it doesnt, check the pedal.switch connector inside the pedal box under the floor mat. Water gets in there and gives a bad connection on the spade connector causing it to show continuity. But when the load (albeit small) is presented from the coil, the continuity is not strong enough for it to pass through. Same thing happens when this switch goes bad. You could also try a jumper between the 2 terminals at the pedal.switch, the cart will start as soon as you turn the key on.

To test the solenoid, disconnect the orange wire and jumper 12v straight from the positive battery terminal to the small post on the solenoid. Starter should spin.
Thank you for the reply. I will open the pedal box and check. I have jumped to the coil from the battery and can make the starter generator spin.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
martytilma
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes. Just because you have power going somewhere doesn't mean anything if there's no path to ground to complete the circuit.
One more question if you don't mind....What steps do I take to troubleshoot the ground? I've checked all connections and they are tight. Would I use a multimeter? If so what connections am I testing? Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
Havaday
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Hello again,

I have just now been able to check the connections under the floor mat, both of which were clean and making good connection. The box was very clean and dry. Now I am back to square one any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO