lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
Warato1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Precedent dieseling

Hey guys. New here and new to golf carts. I recently picked up a 2008 Precedent with the FE350 and I have been trying to get it running correctly.

The last remaining issues is the cart wants to keep running when it gets warm (usually anything more than a mile). When you come to a stop the motor continues to run and then finally try to spin backwards. The motor also gets very hot after only about two miles, to the point the side of the cart is very hot to the touch.

The cart is not lifted. I have pulled the carb and cleaned it, has fresh oil and filter, spark plug, air filter, fuel pump, fuel lines and filter.

I would appreciate any advice or insight you guys have, I'm at a loss on what to do next.
Warato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Precedent dieseling

When my 93 DS did that it was because the butterfly in the carb was not closing all the way when the throttle was closed. Check the screw that adjusts how far the butterfly closes.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure the carb throttle plate.closes all the way as said.

I'd also disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and the governor. Make 1000% sure it moves very very freely. Any.resistance can cause it to stick and hold the carb open even intermittently.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
Warato1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys! I checked the screw, screwed it in till I hit resistance and backed off one turn. I removed the throttle cable and the plate closes tight (with the return spring on), but with the throttle cable on the plate does not return to the fully closed position. Should the plate return to the fully closed position when the petal is released? If so, do I need to replace the cable and spring or is there a way to "free" up the cable?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The plate should fully close any time you release the pedal.

Does the throttle cable stick any if its removed from both the governor arm and the carb? It should be very free for the full length of motion. If it sticks at all I'd just replace it.

If the cable is free, it's possible the governor arm is holding it up. The bracket in the back could be tweaked or the governor arm itself may have rotated slightly on the shaft.

Or the pedal linkage may be out of adjustment and holding a little tension on the governor at rest.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

First make sure your gas pedal doesn’t have dirt or acorns or some kinda junk crammed in front of it keeping it from returning all the way.
Regardless of the throttle closes all the way the throttle kill switch on the pedal should be killing spark with the pedal all the way up. No spark =no diesel
If the pedal is not returning all the way the throttle switch will not close and kill the ignition.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 07 did the same thing; reason/ its running too lean and causing the overheat/dieselling, increase the size of the main jet in carb
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Warato1
Not Yet Wild

Governor cable seems to move freely when disconnected on both ends. Not sure how to tell if the bracket or the governor arm is out of adjustment. They seem to be okay, but don't have anything to compare them to. How tight should the pedal cable adjustment be?

I used my leaf blower to blow out the pedal assembly when I was changing the accelerator cable. I don't think anything is preventing the pedal from returning.

Not even sure where to source a larger jet or which size to use, but I do agree the motor gets every hot and I'm not sure why so the jet may be an issue. I have thought about replacing the carburetor with an aftermarket from Revolution Carts, but everything I have read says to avoid aftermarket carbs.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't remember the size of the jet, but for my 290, I bought a n ebay chinese carb for a 350 and used that jet in my original carb, seems to help
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Jet size is stamped into the jet. It's tiny and hard to see, and you have to remove the jet to really get a look at it. A trick for upsizing a jet is to take a strand of steel wire from a piece of cable and run it through the center of the jet a bunch to ream it out.

There is a pilot tube above the jet that can get clogged with dirt and varnish. It should just pop out of the carb once the jet is removed.

Are there any leaves, or mouse nest stuck in the air shroud or the fan? Every year I have to remove at least one fan inlet to get all the pine needles out of the fan because someone here decides to take a cart through the woods where they shouldn't be going.

Does it have any oil leaks? Even a minor leak can get the cooling fins in the head full of grease and dust will stick to it and block the fins. Any blockage of air flow will cause it to run hot or overheat.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car