lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 choke sticking open

so I was reading through some old carb threads. Mine has been taken off and cleaned recently and runs great. However, the choke linkage opens, but doesn't spring back on it's own. I came across the manual saying not to disassemble this and lubricant hasn't worked so far. Wondering if this is related to the cable(new a couple years ago) or the spring assembly?(I believe it did this when off the cart as I thought it seemed off at the time).
wchouinard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 choke sticking open

It could be the cable or the spring or the carb butterfly or the choke knob. Really, I have a lot of old carts and this happens to all of them. To be honest, I prefer the choke staying on until I make it go off as it's easier than driving with one hand while reaching and holding the choke. That's just me though. If you lube up the above components and perhaps get a new or beefier spring you'll be ok.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah...check that little spring is in place and hooked up properly or get a small light additional one and fasten it to the top of the cable area then the other end to the governor screw thingy.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

I guess I should have clarified that better. The knob stays open until I push it closed, but it won't push the carb lever back so it opens but won't close it. This is a pain cause I have to flip back the seat to close it manually. Thinking I'll try checking the spring or adding one like mentioned
Old 06-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Clarification. When you pull the knob out, the choke is CLOSED. When the knob is in, the choke is OPEN.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Um....I'm lost
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

yes, sorry that wasn't a great explanation. Pulling the knob closes the choke, but pushing it back in does not spring back to open it back up. So I need a new spring or extra spring so I don't have to open the thing up everytime to move the lever so I'm not running w/ choke closed whole time. At least that's what I'm guessing since it worked fine before.
That better? lol
Old 06-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you manually push the choke lever in, does it open the choke back up?

If it used to close the choke on it's own, and now it doesn't, you might look at the carb and choke mechanism, you might see a spring hanging there someplace. It might just need reconnected.

Or you have a choke cable that isn't securely fastened to the carb. Take a look at that part, it might just need "adjusted".
Old 06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
wchouinard1
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for late response. That's the problem. Pushing knob back in does not open it up. There is a spring that looks intact so I'm not sure what the issue is. Lubricant hasn't helped. I'm not familiar with how the cable should work, but it's attached to carb correctly as far as I know and pulls it fine to close choke. But when you push knob back in, the wire inside cable just pushes through and the carb lever does not turn back to open choke. I haven't been able to work on it for weeks so I'll have to get back and take a look again. Maybe post pic or video
Old 06-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It's a pretty simple mechanical device that operates the choke, however, without any pics or a video, there's not much we can tell you. If you can, take some very good pics and post them up, maybe we can walk you through the repair.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha