lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What's THE model/year to have on a used CC?

My apologies for the noobish question, but I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while and I'm about ready to get on the hunt for a used Club Car. From what I've gathered here it appears that the 2002+ DS IQ 48V is the best 'all around' cart to have. I've read they the 48v is a must have, the DS is a bit more reliable, and the IQ is a good option to have. Am I far off base with this assessment? Anything else I should consider when buying a used cart other than battery age?

Thanks!
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: What's THE model/year to have on a used CC?

It really depends on what you wanna do with the cart. Series carts are the workhorses of golf carts. They've got the torque down where you need it for hills and such, but they can be more expensive to upgrade for speed. IQ carts are easier to upgrade for speed, they also are less simple to work on than a series cart.

As for things to look for, make sure the cart has a working charger with it, if not you'll be spending several hundred extra dollars right off the bat for a charger. Definitely consider battery age, and ask about how the batteries were maintained (Was the cart kept charged, only distilled water used in the batteries, etc...) Lastly, look for the obvious stuff, the signs of damage like a cracked body indicating a collision with something or top posts that are bent to one side, indicating the cart has been rolled over (I've seen it more than a few times). I'm sure I've forgotten something, but others will chime in as well.

Good luck hunting and Welcome to BGW!!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
crash test dummy

welcome to BGW

look at the battery box it will tell how well the owner took care of cart .. if its corroded and rusty they did poor job of caring for cart .. check bushings and steering ... last look at rear end for wet spots
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
look at rear end for wet spots
Should I roll her in flour!
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Should I roll her in flour!
no .. sawdust will do ...
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post

look at the battery box it will tell how well the owner took care of cart .. if its corroded and rusty they did poor job of caring for cart .. check bushings and steering ... last look at rear end for wet spots
Thanks for all of the responses.

The corrosion on the battery box is it a result of the batteries leaking and the owner not taking care of the problem at the time? or some other galvanic type deal?

Is the battery box steel or aluminum?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

cc are all aluminum, also, ask yourself how you will be using your cart, like already posted, you will have more options with a series cart.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Honestly I don't have big immediate plans for the cart other than riding my family around the neighborhood and an occasional beach trip. I'm a mechanical engineer and I love to tinker, so I can see myself pulling this thing apart and modifying it in the near future.

When you say more options for the series, do you mean availability?

Also, when considering a used cart, what age do you consider too old for batteries?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

If you plan on the beach, then you are going to need torque, which means amps

more options meaning better torque/speed combinations

used cart would depend on price and condition, but don't be scared of a 95 cc ds in good condition , and if possible a 48 volt
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car