lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
trdehmer
Not Yet Wild

Default New owner of a 2001 EZGO J401 - questions on some repairs and performance upgrades...

I'm new to golf carts, so bare with me!

Here are my questions:
-I appear to need a new alternator, where am I best to go to find the correct part number and where to order online? (have to tap mine with a hammer to get it to start up).
-I'd also like to get an original or copy of the correct owners manual and service manual - any idea where to get one (or find the right part number to find on ebay?)
-What is the best drive belt to get?

To me, the drive belt is very loose - I have snowmobiles, so to me a loose drive belt means your loosing a ton of performance. But belts typically don't stretch, but wear in width. Is the secondary clutch adjustable to get the belt tension correct? If so, how does one adjust on an EZGO golf cart?

Any simple modifications that won't impede on longevity of the motor but give better performance?
-Cold Air Intake?
-These have a governor?
-Other?

Thanks for any input/help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO.jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
trdehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New owner of a 2001 EZGO J401 - questions on some repairs and performance upgrade

I would first just try and replace the brushes in the starter/generator. They typically wear, but the S/G itself is fine. It's around $20 for a new set of brushes, and an hour or so to install them (including removing and reinstalling the S/G). Much better than a few hundred bucks for a new S/G.

The drive belts being loose is normal. It should sit on the outer edge of the rear/driven clutch. IF it sits down inside the driven clutch, it's worn and should be replaced. Put the cart in "Neutral" and rev the engine. the belt should smoothly transition to the top/outside of the primary/drive clutch and into the bottom/center of the secondary/driven clutch, and go back when you let off the gas. You only are losing performance if it doesn't climb to the top of the clutch, but it is normal for the belts to be fairly loose fitting. You can gain a bit of extra torque with a slightly smaller belt.

There is a governor on the rear axle you can zip tie or adjust to gain additional speed. On 22-23" tires you're safe around 18-20mph, but to get much above that you start to sacrifice engine longevity.

As far as intake/carb/etc mods, your best bet is to leave it all stock and only use OEM parts. clutching or gears is where you'll gain speed and/or torque. But these engines can be quite finicky when you start swapping/upgrading parts on them.

Good luck, hope this helps some, and welcome!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
trdehmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New owner of a 2001 EZGO J401 - questions on some repairs and performance upgrade

Thank you. Any specific clutching upgrades you'd recommend for stock engine and gearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I would first just try and replace the brushes in the starter/generator. They typically wear, but the S/G itself is fine. It's around $20 for a new set of brushes, and an hour or so to install them (including removing and reinstalling the S/G). Much better than a few hundred bucks for a new S/G.

The drive belts being loose is normal. It should sit on the outer edge of the rear/driven clutch. IF it sits down inside the driven clutch, it's worn and should be replaced. Put the cart in "Neutral" and rev the engine. the belt should smoothly transition to the top/outside of the primary/drive clutch and into the bottom/center of the secondary/driven clutch, and go back when you let off the gas. You only are losing performance if it doesn't climb to the top of the clutch, but it is normal for the belts to be fairly loose fitting. You can gain a bit of extra torque with a slightly smaller belt.

There is a governor on the rear axle you can zip tie or adjust to gain additional speed. On 22-23" tires you're safe around 18-20mph, but to get much above that you start to sacrifice engine longevity.

As far as intake/carb/etc mods, your best bet is to leave it all stock and only use OEM parts. clutching or gears is where you'll gain speed and/or torque. But these engines can be quite finicky when you start swapping/upgrading parts on them.

Good luck, hope this helps some, and welcome!
trdehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO