lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Testing various performance mods

I'm thinking about returning my Precedent to near-stock configuration, then performing a series of measured tests and recording the results for objective comparison. I haven't done the throttle linkage adjustments so those are still factory. But I could remove the zip ties (ouch!) and that would pretty much bring the mechanicals back to stock. The baseline would be on 22s unless I can rent/borrow a set of stock wheels and tires.

I found an iPhone app that measures max and average speed as well as distance, time, and altitude. It probably isn't scientifically accurate but it's good enough for the girls I go with (don't tell the misses). Here are my test ideas. They are all pretty much wide open throttle tests, but I could rig a stop block on the gas pedal to measure some of them at a set RPM.

-Top speed on flat road.
-Acceleration from dead stop over predefined distance (200'?)
-Hill climb from dead stop w/no load.
-Same hill climb with loaded trailer.

I would run the stock tests then repeat the series after each of these mods.

-Throttle linkage
-Zip ties
-Big tire swap
-Clutch machining

Sound like fun? Anyone near Paducah KY/LBL care to ride shotgun/supervise? Suggestions?

Shoey
kshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Testing various performance mods

Would love to see the results, but have to admit you have a lot more time on your hands than I do lol. Good luck
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

At the mom-in-laws I can never sleep past 6 and nobody else is up before 10, so that's a few hours where I can putz around on my cart. Plus I lack the gene that allows people float on a raft in the water for hours, so there's some more time.

Motivation, on the other hand, is another story. We'll see if I actually follow through since it means undoing at least a couple things I've already done. If I do I'll finally be contributing something of my own to these forums instead of just borrowing everyone else's ideas.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I had the best intentions, but starting the weekend with a dead battery threw me off my game. Plus my iPhone loses the GPS signal in the flattest section of nearby road so I don't get good results for the speed test. On top of that my cart has a different throttle linkage which makes that NA.

For now, testing various performance mods is no longer be on my todo list.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Just get out and take a nice long ride. Grab a few cold drinks and enjoy
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah, I once thought I'd do some comparo with my G1 and G9, stock vs. clone vs. vanguard......that never happened....lol

After I thought about it, doing this kind of comparison properly is very difficult, as far as using the scientific method. Way to many uncontrolled variables to make it a "real experiment". And doing so would be very time consuming. Not sure all that work has any kind of a payoff after it's all said and done.

I wish Vegas Carts would do some "real numbers" comparisons. But they work on any cart, any engine, any upgrade. So they really don't have any reason to prove one is better than the other, at least not on paper. Cart Parts Plus doesn't do clones, so no use there. And electric carts don't have a large enough "performance mod" following for anyone to start any comparisons.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

@slonomo You're right. The results would be a reference point at best and far from scientific. I'm happy with all my hop-ups and I'd hate to discourage anyone else from doing them if I reported poor results.

@dbmachine I took your advice exactly.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I wasn't trying to discourage you bro....hope I didn't do that. For fun, these types of comparisons would be good reading material, and yes, definitely a good reference for people looking to modify.

Why not start a thread with some theoretical setups and get some input?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

No worries. I did not take your comments as discouraging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts