lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Coondog1
Not Yet Wild

Default G5AH sun classic secondary clutch service.

I have a G5AH and the shoe (ramps) on the secondary clutch are worn out and 2 are broken off. I think it is the same clutch as the G2-G9. How do I go about servicing this. I thought the job would be easy enough, Just torque the clutch sheave by hand to create enough space to pop the old shoes out and put the new shoes in. My problem is that 2 are broken off and I can't get the nylon shoe posts out of the clutch seat. probably have to drill them out which means I'll need to take the clutch off or apart.

How doses the secondary clutch come off or apart? It dosn't look like one piece clutch to me where I would use a clutch puller to remove the entire clutch from the gearbox shaft. does it come apart from the shaft piece by piece? thank you
Coondog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G5AH sun classic secondary clutch service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog1 View Post
I have a G5AH and the shoe (ramps) on the secondary clutch are worn out and 2 are broken off. I think it is the same clutch as the G2-G9. How do I go about servicing this. I thought the job would be easy enough, Just torque the clutch sheave by hand to create enough space to pop the old shoes out and put the new shoes in. My problem is that 2 are broken off and I can't get the nylon shoe posts out of the clutch seat. probably have to drill them out which means I'll need to take the clutch off or apart.

How doses the secondary clutch come off or apart? It dosn't look like one piece clutch to me where I would use a clutch puller to remove the entire clutch from the gearbox shaft. does it come apart from the shaft piece by piece? thank you
On mine, there is a hole on the side where you insert a rod which will push the shoes outward from the bottom

I was thinking the same thing, just replace the shoes while it was still in there but I am glad I took it out because the new shoes did not go in easily. I had to use a flat punch rod and hammer new shoe in

I didn't have to use a drill at all, just push it out using the holes on the side

Bill
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Coondog1
Not Yet Wild

I have tried getting the posts out going in from the back using the side holes. Tried to punch them out with and allen wrench and hammer. Am I just not using enough force? Should they come out if I keep working at it? I'll go back and try some more.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

https://www.golfcartking.com/yamaha-...2-spring-seat/

Replacement new style spring seat, with screw-in ramps...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
https://www.golfcartking.com/yamaha-...2-spring-seat/

Replacement new style spring seat, with screw-in ramps...
Do this! But you will want/need a sliding sheave with the grease fitting. the older ones dont "ride right" on the newer spring seat.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog1 View Post
I have tried getting the posts out going in from the back using the side holes. Tried to punch them out with and allen wrench and hammer. Am I just not using enough force? Should they come out if I keep working at it? I'll go back and try some more.

There a tiny hole in the side on each ramp as shown in the photo below. If you are in the correct holes as shown in the photo then yes you are not using enough force.

Are you trying to take the shoes out while it still on the cart? Are you keeping the shoes off the ramp somehow and spring under loaded while trying to remove it?

I took my sheave off when I replaced the shoes but I was able to take a rod and press it out by hand so maybe your is really stuck in there. I did spray some lubes in that hole before pressing it out.

Also putting new shoes in was a major pain in the butt, I still don't know how you are going to manage to put new shoes back in there while it still on the transmission with enough force and not damage anything.

Bill
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Coondog1
Not Yet Wild

Okay, so I finished with the job and I thought I would post how I did it and what stages I thought were difficult.

after looking at it I was going to just bring my golf cart in to the Yamaha shop but every shop in town was booked with work and wouldn't be able to take it until next week. Summer is just starting where I live and every shop was busy working on people boats and 4-wheelers and stuff.

Secondary (Driven) clutch removal:

1. I removed the cotter pin, sheave securing nut and washer. I used an air impact wrench on the sheave securing nut and it came right off. Didn't have to hold the clutch or use a 2x4 or anything.

2. The sheave didn't come off its taper by itself. I tried to bang the end of the shaft with the nut on with a hammer to see if it would rattle loose but it wasn' t coming off. I went to Autozone using their "Loan-a-tool" thing and got a steering wheel puller (a timing gear puller would work also), then went to the hardware store and purchased the two 6mm bolts I needed to screw into the fixed sheave. Using the steering wheel puller the fixed sheave came off.

3. Next was the woodruff key. It didn't come out easily either. I used a 5 inch C-Clamp on the spring seat and the sliding sheave to compress the spring and move the sliding sheave inward far enough for me to get a flat head screw driver in to pry out the woodruff key. It came out and the rest of the parts slid off the shaft easily.

4. I have my prize, I secure the spring seat into my vise to get the broken shoes out. The shoes did not come out with penetrating lube or just hitting them from the backside holes. They were in there and I had to heat them up with a propane torch and they came out easily. (this is what the guy at the Yamaha shop said he does to get the shoes out and it worked like a charm) I brought my spring seat to the Yamaha shop and they installed the new shoes for me. The guy used a hammer to tap them in. While there he also looked at my sliding sheave and showed me it was worn out. I bought a new one and a new belt also. $12 for the shoes, $80 for the Sliding Sheave and $47 for the belt. The prices seam a bit on the high side but I wanted to get it done today.

[Another note, the guy at the Yamaha shop also asked me about the condition of the C-clip on the shaft. He said that a lot of times he replaces this with some other kind of upgraded spacer. If the C-clip fails it ruins the shaft. Mine looked fine so I let it go. If they were doing the work I probably would have had them change it out.]

Secondary clutch install:

I used a G2-G9 service manual I found in this forum to help me with this job but I noticed that the manual was wrong on page 6-8. The holes for the spring seat were labeled different in the diagram then the how they were labeled on my part. I set my spring in "hole 3" on my spring seat and in "hole B" on the sliding sheave, on my parts. This was what was shown in the diagrams, just labeled wrong.

1. I slid on the spring seat.

2. I set my spring in hole #3

3. slid my sliding sheave on the shaft setting the spring in hole B.

4. For this next part I needed an extra set of hands. I torqued my sheave and pulled it in setting on the shoes while my friend put a 5" C-clamp over the spring seat and sliding sheave.

5. the C-clamp held the spring compressed long enough for me to get the plastic washer on and the woodruff key in. After the woodruff key was in I could release the C-clamp and everything stayed in place.

6, next, I put the fixed sheave on and carefully used my impact wrench to slowly tighten the fixed sheave over the woodruff key and taper shaft.

7. Put in cotter pin,

8. Grease the sliding sheave, put the belt back on, put the exhaust back on and I'm done.

went for a ride and everything seems to work okay.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Coondog1
Not Yet Wild

also

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out and responded to this post.

I think must have tools for this job are:

1. impact wrench with 17mm socket (it made removing the nut easy and it really helped in getting the fixed sheave back on)
2. a puller with 6mm bolts
3. 5" C-clamp (used to compress the spring)
4. flat head screw driver (to get the woodruff key out)
5. propane torch
6. Hammer.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I'm surprised that the guy at the Yamaha shop didn't tell you to get rid of the c clip, and go with the spacer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpe spacer.jpe (4.8 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
Coondog1
Not Yet Wild

he did but didn't have the part in stock.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha