lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 AM   #1
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 won't always climb a hill

1983 G1 that I rebuilt over the winter. New crank seals, fuel pump, cylinder and piston. Ran good for 2 months. Still runs strong except it sometimes acts like it runs out of gas at the top of a particular hill at camp. I can sometimes rescue it with choke, and I might climb the hill 5 times before it does it. I changed all of the rubber fuel lines and blew out the metal line. New pulse line. Switched the fuel pump. If it stops, I just let it back down a couple of feet and turn it sideways and it will start and run again. Like 20 seconds. Fuel tank looks ok inside from what I can see, the pickup tube is open. Changed plug. Fuel filter etc. Cleaned carb. I'm at a loss and out of ideas. It pulls the hill strong 95% of the time.

Tj
Tjsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 won't always climb a hill

Float level a hair to low?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

I'm thinking that too except it is at camp and not a great place to field strip the carb. I'm debating a 20.00 carb from Amazon to see if it changes it. If I bring the cart home I don't have the hill to test it.

Tj
Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I bought one of those once because my throttle shaft was worn out it ran alright but had to adjust float level and ended up just using plastic bushing to replace old brass one on original carb really all you need is Phillips screw driver pliers and 12 or 14 mm wrench to get the carb and bowl off to adjust your float
Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

You have a point. Might be worth a shot. I'm just puzzled why it suddenly started this after a couple of months. What would change the float adjustment?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

One way to figure out if it's fuel or ignition related is get a spark plug tester and next time it does it throw the tester on and make sure it has spark if you want to test some things before pulling carb
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

Carried an extra plug with me. Put wire on plug and grounded to engine. Had spark.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

I ordered a $25 carb this morning. I will swap it this weekend if I have time. If it changes it I will rebuild the Yamaha carb... The fact I can sometimes save it with choke makes me think fuel but If I knew it would be fixed. ��
Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Tjsg1
Not Yet Wild

Put the Carb on last night. Lots of leak issues with it. Finley took the old bowel and put it on the new one. That fixed the leak. Made it up the hill a bunch of times. Not going to say it's fixed yet but hopefully. Carb was exact replacement. So maybe the one on it wasn't OEM.
Tj
Old 07-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the cheapo carb is a almost-perfect copy, look closely at the maker name on the carb, it will likely be slightly mis-spelled on the knock-off carb. im not a fan of the china copy carbs, but hey, if it solves a problem......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamaha g1 gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha