lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Picked up a 79 G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I think for every good part I find something and think what in the heck is this.
Engine out. Is this skid plate looking thing normal for all g1s? I ask because my 84 doesn't have it and I parted out an 82 that didn't either. Maybe something the early ones had like the metal inner fenders? The plate is also bolted to the rear diff.
BTW, my '81 has that plate. My '86+ does not.

Note the large hole is just underneath the fuel pump and carb. Not sure if that's to dump the fuel to keep it from igniting, or for access to some adjustment. lol

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

well it looks like im going to be joining the J17 crowd. After testing the J17 hybrid engines compression I found a disappointing 85 psi. So I pulled it blew the dust off the j17 and dropped it in and found 95 psi. Crank bearings feel ok but I need to pull seals for replacement and visual inspection of the bearings.

trying not to put to much money in this thing so the wife wont kill me.

I will later go through one or both of the other engines for a backup and possibly for my Honda Odyssey Project.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/side-...y-project.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #23
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you find out how not to get dead let me know. Ive been working on mine for a while now and every time i go to service a component im finding bad bearings and or seals/o-rings. What started out as just crank seals has blown up to rebuilding almost everything, so much for my poor boy cart. Making good progress though and should have it running soon. Then on to the homemade lift. Got it almost all worked out. Wife and two little ones kind of beat me up on free time to work on it and all my other projects.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #24
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well now I'm a little stumped. Just to see how far off the j10 exhaust was from fitting I installed the flange (nut ring) off the 80 g1 and mock mounted the j10 muffler. It fit perfectly! Guessing this is because I have the j10 engine cradle and nut ring?? NOTE the engine is an 82 J17 with J17 jug and head. I tried to mock mount the j17 exhaust I had but it was a no go. it keep hitting the plate in the floor where the j10 exit pipe goes out. On one hand I want cut this piece out and see if that exhaust will fit. on the other I don't want to cut it out. LOL

now im at odds at which carb to use. the j17 or the j10?

check out the second pic. it looks like this j17 exhaust was either repaired or its possible that how it came. I have left this piece outside for a year and its made it worse. I could have bent out a piece and welded it in but its looking rough where the pipe slides in the flange. It may come down to me having to repair it if it doesn't run right with this exhaust. Im going to post a link to this in my J17 posting as well as it pertains to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2036.jpg (344.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2037.jpg (578.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2038.jpg (304.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #25
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Had the old gal out on her maiden voyage just a bit ago. Needs some more tinkering, like checking out the brakes. the park brake wants to stay on any time the brakes are pressed, fat foot maybe? Smoking just a little but seems to be getting better the more I drive it. probably burning out the fogging oil I sprayed in it when I put in away for storage. I also sprayed the crank bearings with this when I had the seals out.

I really recommend anyone with a cart this age to buy a parts cart. I cant tell you how many times I had to dig though the parts pile I had from the 82 I had parted out last year. Little things from carb/gov linkage to the metal fuel line that was completely missing on this cart. The aftermarket solenoids seem to work well for forward/reverse as with the aftermarket CDI. I used the J10 carb and left the jetting alone. Seems to run well with j17 engine and exhaust.

Now I need to get seats, paint it, a dash and some wheels and tires. Honestly a lift kit makes a world of difference working on the cart. This thing was so awkward to work on as low as it sits and I have also been thinking of stretching it and making a Limo.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #26
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thx for the update Mike.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

After more driving, I don't know if the stock clutch on my 84 is that bad or if the comet clutch is that smooth. The down side to the comet clutch is no idle bearing so pushing it is near impossible
Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #28
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Body work. Not a body but thought is share a trick. If you have holes to fill put masking tape on the front side then fill the hole from behind. let it sure then the tape comes right off. After that some bondo for final filler.
I use fiberglass resin jelly for repairs. Not saying its right or the best but always has worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (251.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2077.jpg (255.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Looks great Mike...thx for the tip.
Griff.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #30
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Blending
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2085.jpg (276.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha