lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

Default G 9 Steering out of whack

So I had this issue where when it got cold out the steering would freeze up. So I figured I'd attempt to take off the steering box and work on it inside where it was warm. Long story short I couldn't totally remove the box so I removed the top cover and found it to be full of ice!!!! I did my best to remove the ice and as much grease as I could and repacked it with fresh grease. I also removed the bottom bearing race to clean that out as well. In doing so the main bearing fell out but that's not the issue. The issue I'm having now is I must've messed up something up because when I turn the wheel it sort of unscrews and the wheels only turn to the right. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks
Scott from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G 9 Steering out of whack

I'm concerned no one here appears to want to reply to my posts although many of you viewed it. Anyway thank god I have some mechanical skills because I was able to fix the issue myself. What was happening is the bottom bearing race was too loose so the steering shaft kept popping out of place. All I did was center the wheels and fiddle with the steering shaft a bit until it was where I wanted it to be then I just tightened the bottom bearing race to tighten up the steering. Turns nice and smooth now.
Scott from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don’t think it’s that nobody wants to reply- just nobody had come along yet that had an answer. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
I don’t think it’s that nobody wants to reply- just nobody had come along yet that had an answer. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree, time and season will dictate responses. I wont reply if I dont have a clue or nothing new to add. Glad you figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

When you unscrewed the plug on the steering shaft and pulled the bearing out ice my have gotten in the way of the bearing not pulling back in all the way. When you turn the steering wheel it moves up and down - in and out of the steering column? That nut or plug needs to be tightened till there's no in and out motion in the steering column.
With that bearing pulled out - use a heat gun and melt the ice out the box. Tighten the shaft nut till there's no in/out motion on column. Pull the upper cover with the adjuster screw - be sure you loose no parts. Put as much of this type grease as you can get in the steering box. Use a piece of gasket material - cut a hole in it for the adjuster screw to fit through. Fit the cover over the gasket material - make holes for bolts. Screw the bolts in carefully and tighten. Cut off excess gasket material. If you can remove the adjuster bolt without loosing any parts - pull it and squeeze more grease in through the hole. Tighten the adjuster screw slowly till there's no in/out motion of the steering arm shaft with someone rocking the steering wheel..
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha