lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

Default Correct spark plug for G 9

I have a 1994 Yamaha G 9 and I'm having a hard item getting her to fire. I ordered a "tune up kit" off Ebay which stated it was for my year of cart. It included a fuel and air filter and a spark plug. When I compared the spark plug that's in the cart now to the one I received, it's clear the new one has many more threads at the bottom. I'm afraid to use the new plug thinking git may damage the engine. The old plug is an Autolite 4123. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!
Scott from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Correct spark plug for G 9

Service manual calls for a NGK BR5ES. I run a BR4ES with no problems. Lot of guys run a BR2ES which is a little hotter plug. If the one that came in your ebay tune up kit isn't a NGK then go to your local auto parts store and spend the $2 on the NGK plug. Most of those tune up kits come with generic chinese spark plugs from mama woo's garage.

From experience, stick with NGK. Never had a problem with NGK plugs. Have seen a lot of running issues with other brands.

What exactly is it doing? If you're having a hard time getting it to fire chances are more likely in the coil or the ignitor than the plug itself. The cart is 20+ years old as are the electronics, so wouldn't be surprising for them to fail. However, stay far, far away from aftermarket coil or Ignitor. Trust me, from experience, they are junk and will only leave you chasing your tail.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

CP241 you seem to be the one who is in the know which I truly appreciate. What would the difference be between the BR2, 4, or 5 plugs and which would be the best one to use?

In terms of what is actually going on. She just turns over and over but never fires up. Fuel pump is pumping fine. Air filter is clean. Installed a new in line fuel filter. When I pulled the plug she's super wet and I smell gas as if she's flooded. I did my best to pull the carb and clean it but maybe I must've screwed something up when I put it back together?? I'm planning on pulling the tank and clean her out because the cart was sitting for over a year.

Stay tuned!!!!

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

BPR2ES is hotter than the 4, and it's what I use. Your problem sounds like a no spark issue. Get an in-line spark tester to find out.

Last edited by Dave in VA; 11-30-2018 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: wrong info
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I certainly don't know all, but I do know what I've learned from my own woes when rebuilding my crusty old G9. Lot of hard lessons learned there I'd rather not watch someone else repeat!

Here is a breakdown of how the spark plug numbering system works with NGK. The "R" in the part number indicates it is a resistor style spark plug. https://www.sparkplugs.com/Data/uplo...ug_Chart_1.jpg

I would start by checking your ignition coil and cap resistance. Check them separately, the cap screws off and I've often found coils to be fine and the caps to have failed, probably because they're more directly exposed to heat.

I stole this from another post, but your R-values should be in the ballpark here.
- Primary 1.6 Ohm
- Secondary 10.11K Ohm (no cap)
- Cap 5.46K Ohm

If all that checks out, make sure you have power at the ignitor and the coil. Should be red/white wires. And they should show around 12V when you press the pedal down and the motor is turning.

If all that checks out, then most likely you've got a bad ignitor. DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET $100-120 IGNITOR. Trust me. I learned the hard way. And... An OEM one is around $300-400 unless you can find a used one on here that someone pulled out when they did a clone swap. Here is what I did, because I refused to spend $400 on an ignitor for a $300 golf cart. Cost me about $30 in parts at O'Reilly and it's run like a champ ever since without so much as a hiccup. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ml#post1498533
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

Turns out when I purchased the cart it had the wrong spark plug. Put the correct one in and would you believe she fired right up? Still needs a tune up but what a difference the correct plug makes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha