lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Default Charger problems

We have a Yamaha with serial number starting with JR1 - G19 Electric, 1996-2002 that is not charging. When connected to the charger, the charger appears to be cycling through the led lights and then the "Incomplete" red LED light stays on and does not charge the golf car. The batteries have 41 volts now. I have included photo of the charger and label. What could be the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lorna charger 1.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Lorna charger 2.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
Carts4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Altster
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger problems

Seems the battey voltage is too low.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk
Altster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Thank you Alster. Thought that if it was close to 32-33 volts the charger would read. Is this accurate for a Yamaha charger?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Altster
Not Yet Wild

Dp you have a seperate cart there so you can hook it up to your cart with jump cables? If you plug the charger in your cart afterwards rhe charger should read.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
Thank you Alster. Thought that if it was close to 32-33 volts the charger would read. Is this accurate for a Yamaha charger?
That's not accurate for anything in particular. In my experience, every charger is a little different. Its certainly not any specific number by manufacturer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That's not accurate for anything in particular. In my experience, every charger is a little different. Its certainly not any specific number by manufacturer.
So we brought the battery voltage to 44 volts and connected the charger and still same thing happened. The car did move slightly but no charger response. Can we test a charging system component either in golf car or charger itself? Is there a test to confirm if the board in the charger is bad?
Old 01-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
Altster
Not Yet Wild

Does the charger work on another yamaha? I'm better at fixing electric cars then chargers hahaha

When I fully charge a 6x8V Yamaha with MAC charger (looks identical) like yours. Its sitting at 8.6V for each battery (50V total). When discharge them they are usually around the 46-48 V mark. Not sure at what voltage these mac chargers operate

Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altster View Post
Does the charger work on another yamaha? I'm better at fixing electric cars then chargers hahaha

When I fully charge a 6x8V Yamaha with MAC charger (looks identical) like yours. Its sitting at 8.6V for each battery (50V total). When discharge them they are usually around the 46-48 V mark. Not sure at what voltage these mac chargers operate

ok. thinking it may be the board but at the price i am second guessing myself to order it.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

44v should definitely be high enough. General rule of thumb is "if the cart will still drive, it's high enough to charge". This rule may not apply to older "resistor speed control" carts, as they can drain the batteries much lower than modern carts will allow you to.

Here's some MAC charger test procedures.

Also, FSIP offers repair on those boards.

Whatever you do, do NOT order the board from Nivel/Buggies unlimited. They never work right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181003_124238407.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181003_124218141.jpg (58.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
44v should definitely be high enough. General rule of thumb is "if the cart will still drive, it's high enough to charge". This rule may not apply to older "resistor speed control" carts, as they can drain the batteries much lower than modern carts will allow you to.

Here's some MAC charger test procedures.

Also, FSIP offers repair on those boards.

Whatever you do, do NOT order the board from Nivel/Buggies unlimited. They never work right.
Thanks. Will go over these. We did replace the board from another charger that works and activated on the car but that did not fix the problem. Is there any other component on the charger we can switch to test?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha