lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default OEM Tires and Rims?

I have a 1994 CC Trans-Sender (6 seater) and I need to get some new tires and an extra rim for a spare. I have 18 x 8.5 x 8 tires on the Back and 18 x 6.5 x 8 on the Front.

How do I know what rim size and Type I have?

The Front and the Rear wheels seem to be reversed, the back turned out and the front turned in, I guess the front is reversed to accommodate the front steering mechanism. So, are they interchangeable front to rear? Can I put the same tires on the front and the back? How can tell what size rims I have? I see the offsets mentioned and rims sizes and now I'm confused. I'm sure these are OEM rims and tires. It's not lifted and I have no plans to. I just want to replace the tires and buy one rim. I need at least one Front Tire and one Rear. I was hoping to put the 2 new ones on the Rear and move one rear to the front, but they appear different sizes.
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
09MPT1200guy
Getting Wild
Cushman

Default Re: OEM Tires and Rims?

I found a couple .pdf sources that say the front and rear are supposed to be the same width:

https://mobilicab.com/F4hxm7zhX073ec...ans-Sender.pdf Around page 17 of that .pdf

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02..._Equip_IPL.pdf around page 191 of that .pdf

If you google search the part numbers, it will bring up a few links. Your rear tire size seems to be the correct one. If I were you, I would just measure the backspacing of those wheels, and go with that. You may also want to try one or both of your rears on the front, so you can make sure they don't rub, especially at full turn. Six ply tires will cost a little more, but will be worth it for the extra loads carried by a big cart.
09MPT1200guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

OK, Guy. So what part number did yo Google? I googled the CC Rim part number from the 1994 parts manual, and came up dry. The first link looks like the one I have, but the 2nd one is new. It shows two different rims and tire sizes for the front and the rear. 8.50 Rear, and 6.60 Front. the weird part is that in the "Quantity" column, it says "4" for each. like 4 Front and 4 Rear. And they have different part numbers. That leads me to think that the Front and Rear Rims are different. I know the Tires are, but are they supposed to be? I think I'd rather have the same size on all four. I'll search those new part numbers and see what I get. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Plug your numbers in here:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Walter, but what I'm really driving at is are the front and rear rims the same and just mounted in instead of out, or are they different rims. The rims on a car are the same for the front and the rear, but on my cart the Front appear to be mounted opposite of the rear. I know the tires are different sizes for the Rear and the Front on my cart, but not sure why of if they much be. I cannot tell if these are positive or negative offsets. They do not appear to be center aligned offsets.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

On the big carts with front brakes your front wheels are 4" wide(or 5 maybe, I don't remember exactly off hand) , rear wheels are 7" wide. Or something like that.
And No, regular 8" wide wheels/tires will not fit on the front without doing a lift. They will "fit" but they'll rub if you turn sharp.
You can get wheels for the front with more positive offset than the rears, and fit custom wheels and stock sized tires on the front so they won't rub.

The reason for the narrower front wheels is the front brakes move the center of the wheel out about 2.5" vs a non front brake cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
09MPT1200guy
Getting Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
OK, Guy. So what part number did yo Google? I googled the CC Rim part number from the 1994 parts manual, and came up dry. The first link looks like the one I have, but the 2nd one is new. It shows two different rims and tire sizes for the front and the rear. 8.50 Rear, and 6.60 Front. the weird part is that in the "Quantity" column, it says "4" for each. like 4 Front and 4 Rear. And they have different part numbers. That leads me to think that the Front and Rear Rims are different. I know the Tires are, but are they supposed to be? I think I'd rather have the same size on all four. I'll search those new part numbers and see what I get. Thanks!
Yeah, that "quantity 4" made it seem like they were all the same size in the '94 pdf. The other pdf does list a 6.5 front tire size, so that just complicates things. The post about the front brakes makes a lot of sense. I didn't think about your cart having four wheel brakes. Some of the hard surface industrial carts also use narrow tires because they don't need the wider flotation of a golf car tire.
09MPT1200guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
.... what I'm really driving at is are the front and rear rims the same and just mounted in instead of out, or are they different rims. The rims on a car are the same for the front and the rear, but on my cart the Front appear to be mounted opposite of the rear. ....
The stock wheels on our 2003 CC DS are 7" wide with zero offset all around.
I bought a used wheel for a spare and it's the same.
The lug nut holes are tapered for the nuts to seat properly so the holes should indicate if the wheel is actually mounted reversed.
Also, the valve stem would be on the inside.
We recently purchased our Pathway and the owner's manual says it came with 18x8.5-8 tires.
It currently has Hi-Run 18.5x8.5-8 Load range C, 940 lbs @50 psi tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
On the big carts with front brakes your front wheels are 4" wide(or 5 maybe, I don't remember exactly off hand) , rear wheels are 7" wide. Or something like that.
And No, regular 8" wide wheels/tires will not fit on the front without doing a lift. They will "fit" but they'll rub if you turn sharp. ....
The reason for the narrower front wheels is the front brakes move the center of the wheel out about 2.5" vs a non front brake cart.
Our Pathway has front brakes.
Was the suspension/brakes redesigned for later carts?
Where will larger tires rub - fender lip, wheel well, suspension ?
Ours looks like is came with a little lift because where the front leaf spring mounts there are 2 extra plates raising it about 1/2".
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Guys. Well look at the pictures below. I do not think I have Front brakes. The Rims appear to be the same size, about 8.5" in Diameter. Obviously, I cannot measure the width, but they do seem to be offset. The rear is a negative Offset and the Front may be a positive, or is it the same hub as the Rear, just mounted in reverse i.e. the deep side mounted inward? That's really what I'm after. It is definite it currently has a more narrow tire mounted on t he Front, 6.5 vs 8.5 on the rear. I definitely need one rear tire, so I'll buy one and that will give me time to figure the rest out. I will soon need a front tire. I was hoping to but two new ones for the rear and move that good rear tire to the front, but that won't work now. Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1389.jpg (103.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (132.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1391.jpg (113.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah you don’t have front brakes but for some reason you have the narrow wheels that were used on the carts with front brakes. Pretty sure someone had to have swapped those at some point in that carts past.

Standard wheels will fit yours no prob.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994, club car, oem rims, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car