lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Jwillis
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Won't Hold Charge

I've replaced the starter/generator (twice), the battery, the solenoid, all my connections are good but it's not holding a charge. The last time I replaced the starter/generator I checked it with the voltage meter and everything was good. Rode it off and on all day last Sunday. Toward the end of the day it started losing power. Today I went to crank it and it's dead. What could my problem be?
Jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Won't Hold Charge

If you're engine lost power it would not be a starter/gen issue. The starter/gen simply is used to start the engine, then when running it produces enough voltage to keep the battery charged up. If a cart has a stereo, lights, or any other aftermarket electronics, the charging system will not support those added products. Eventually the added electronics will drain the battery.

Also, aftermarket starter/gens are not that great of quality. Some have reported that they don't last long. Original equipment is recommended.

Loose or corroded connections will also cause charging/battery issues. Check and clean all connections and use a little bit of anti corrosion grease, just a little. Usually no grease is needed, but if you are having a corrosion issue it may help.

Have the battery fully charged and load tested to make sure it isn't bad. A bad battery, no matter how much voltage you throw at it, will never perform well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha