lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
j95661
Not Yet Wild

Default GXT 804 utility, air box flooding

I have an EZ-GO GXT-804 with a 2 cylinder Robin Engine. The engine ( EH29C, 295cc) runs fine normally but when under load the engine starts bogging down and the Air Filter housing gets fuel it it, you can see gas going out if you leave the air filter and the housing cover off. I currently have to run it without the air cleaner and air housing cover.

I have already done the following, replaced the: Carburetor, Spark Plugs, Coil and wires, and set the valve clearance to .004 cold. I checked compression on the cylinders and its about 155. Its currently not blowing any colored exhaust so I don't think the engine is shot.

any thoughts? someone I just spoke to the other day said the muffler could be causing the blowback of the gas through the carb.

any assistance would be great. there is nobody in our area that works on these carts anymore. great cart when the carbs not blowing out gas.. :-)

thanks
Jason
j95661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: GXT 804 utility, air box flooding

Did you notice more threads where you adjusted the intake valves ? Maybe take a picture under the valve cover and upload it here. These robbins are famous for pulling the intake valves in head. The two center valves are the intakes.

A timing belt out a notch or two could cause your issue.

A plugged up muffler would indeed cause it to blow back gas out carb but these engines are not known for that. I guess it you were careful not to break the two bolts that hold the muffler on you could remove them and see what happens. I warn you if they are tight you will need a torch or pop they go.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The Robins 295/350 are notorious for "wearing out" with high hours. The timing belts and valves are common, as well as the #2 connecting rod from oil starvation.

Any idea how many hours on this engine?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
j95661
Not Yet Wild

I was able to disconnect the muffler yesterday, actually verily easily. It ran really bad once disconnected, I'm assuming this is because there was no back pressure. I'll take a look at the timing belt and respond with what I find.

I don't know the amount of hours on the engine, I purchased it from a dealer used.

I did notice the valves all look a bit different, on the amount I have to adjust them to come to .004. I'll post a picture.

thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping its the muffler, since that would be the easiest to replace.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by j95661 View Post
I was able to disconnect the muffler yesterday, actually verily easily. It ran really bad once disconnected, I'm assuming this is because there was no back pressure. I'll take a look at the timing belt and respond with what I find.

I don't know the amount of hours on the engine, I purchased it from a dealer used.

I did notice the valves all look a bit different, on the amount I have to adjust them to come to .004. I'll post a picture.

thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping its the muffler, since that would be the easiest to replace.
My money is on the intake valves worn. Waiting on that picture
Old 03-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
j95661
Not Yet Wild

I adjusted the valves yesterday to .004 and the intake valves looks like I had to adjust them more to get them to .004. Also I noticed gas\oil mixture on the top of the head after removing cover. I'm assuming that means its definitely a valve issue.

am I assuming correctly?
Old 03-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I adjusted the valves yesterday to .004 and the intake valves looks like I had to adjust them more to get them to .004. Also I noticed gas\oil mixture on the top of the head after removing cover. I'm assuming that means its definitely a valve issue.

am I assuming correctly?
Maybe, can't say for sure until I see a picture under valve cover . That should tell.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
j95661
Not Yet Wild

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210324_093842.jpg (224.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210324_093845.jpg (224.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I can't tell that good by looking down on them but from what I see they don't look bad.

Be better if you could get another angle looking across the head. You may be good on the valves.

What you don't want to see are four or more threads on the intakes.

That engine is clean
Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Also I noticed gas\oil mixture on the top of the head after removing cover. I'm assuming that means its definitely a valve issue.
Oil in the cam/rocker arm area is good, it means your oil pump is working. It looks like a normal amount of oil. Oil comes through passages (holes) in the head that come from the oil pump. If they were plugged you would get no oil. If the drain holes were plugged, you would have lots of oil collecting because it isn't draining back to the crankcase properly.

Having valves out of adjustment should not cause a build up of oil in the cam/rocker area.

How do you know you have gas in the oil?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, flooding, gxt-804, hot
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO