lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Are bigger tires worth the ride comfort?

I have a 1990 DS with stock suspension and I am wondering if 12” wheels with 20” tires is worth the lift kit and price. The 20” tires, apposed to the normal 18”, are for added ride comfort and a little increased speed.

1) I’m thinking 1” block in the front and longer shackles in the back.
2) Will this work and not rub? Or am I better off sticking with normal 12” wheels and low-pro tires? Going from stock, will I notice a harder ride?

Wheels I’m thinking are 215/50 12 with -22mm offset
TrevorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Are bigger tires worth the ride comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post
I have a 1990 DS with stock suspension and I am wondering if 12” wheels with 20” tires is worth the lift kit and price. The 20” tires, apposed to the normal 18”, are for added ride comfort and a little increased speed.

1) I’m thinking 1” block in the front and longer shackles in the back.
2) Will this work and not rub? Or am I better off sticking with normal 12” wheels and low-pro tires? Going from stock, will I notice a harder ride?

Wheels I’m thinking are 215/50 12 with -22mm offset
The less rubber and air between the wheel rim and the road, the rougher the ride. I believe a 12" rim and 20" tire will make the ride considerably rougher. 2-ply sidewall rides better than 4-ply.

It all depends on tire pressure however. If you run the 20" tires at 14 psi and compare it to 18" tire at 20 psi, it might be a wash. You will sacrifice tire wear at lower pressures than recommended though.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hmm. I was hoping the 20” tire would be more comfortable than the 18” low profile tire. I like the look of the 12” wheel, but if I want comfort I should stick with 10”?
Old 09-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

The more rubber that you have between the rim and the ground, the softer the ride. Air pressure as well as sidewall ply's also play a part in ride quality. A 215/50 has a little over 4" of sidewall so measure your stock tires and decide from there. Go to tire size.com and you can compare dimensions of different size tires.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post
Hmm. I was hoping the 20” tire would be more comfortable than the 18” low profile tire. I like the look of the 12” wheel, but if I want comfort I should stick with 10”?
Mine are stock 8" rims with Greenball 18x8.5x8 DOT tires. I have almost 300# less weight with the lithium battery and the ride is actually pretty good at 24 mph and pavement. Not as good as it was with the FLA batteries, but not bad. Suspension is completely stock.

I'm going to look at Kenda tires next. They make a trailer tire, DOT rated for 70 MPH, that is 18.5 x 8.5 x 8.

10" rim with 18" tires will give you less sidewall and a rougher ride than 8". I know these 8" rims are ugly, but I got some 10LOL hubcaps that make them sparkle! (Not shown on this older photo.)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The tire sidewall is a suspension component in automobiles and golf carts. Less sidewall will make the ride harsher regardless of the overall height. For the softest ride you want a tire that resembles a balloon like a 20 inch tire on a 8 inch rim.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

As Scottyb mentioned soft big rubber is a lot of the suspension on a stock golf cart. Low profile tires suck on everything except for performance and cornering. Some people think they look good, low profile tires in Michigan are a tire dealer's dream, potholes are very profitable. That same 20" tire on the 8" rim will corner and lean like an fat old Cadillac. Most off-road tires are noisy and rough riding, by nature of the tread. Unless you've upgraded the drive train, those big tires will give you speed downhill and lose speed and torque on any incline.
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
The more rubber that you have between the rim and the ground, the softer the ride. Air pressure as well as sidewall ply's also play a part in ride quality. A 215/50 has a little over 4" of sidewall so measure your stock tires and decide from there. Go to tire size.com and you can compare dimensions of different size tires.
Your bio says you have 225/30 12 tires. Does it ride rough on pavement and over speed bumps?
Old 09-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
capt911
Not Yet Wild

I have a Club Car Precedent and it came with 10" instead of 8"wheels. The standard bias tires that came on it used when I bought it wore out. I do not remember the brand but ordered some 10" tires from one of the vendors on this site believe it was Buggies Gone Wild. They strongly recommended the DOT rated ones and were radials as well. More expensive but once I rode in the cart the first time much improved ride were well worth the price. I would order them again in a heartbeat. I am away working in Europe or would post brand if I was a home but might have been Fusion their house brand?.

Last edited by capt911; 09-25-2021 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: additions
capt911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift kit, tires, wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car