lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
jahaiap
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default fuel pump problems

I have a Honda 390 in my cart. The clubcar fuel pump is run out of the old governor hole and it seems to work fine except at WOT. It runs out of gas after 2 or 3 mins. Then it starts right back up. I can see the fuel filter nearly empty everytime I lift the seat when this happens. Other people run their pump like this and it works fine. Is there a maximum length of hose between the crank case and the pump for good operation?

The one difference is that I have a big carb. Maybe my pump cant keep up with the carb. Or the pump is worn out. The pump is 19 years old. Anyone else have probelmes like this?
jahaiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

Default Re: fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahaiap View Post
I have a Honda 390 in my cart. The clubcar fuel pump is run out of the old governor hole and it seems to work fine except at WOT. It runs out of gas after 2 or 3 mins. Then it starts right back up. I can see the fuel filter nearly empty everytime I lift the seat when this happens. Other people run their pump like this and it works fine. Is there a maximum length of hose between the crank case and the pump for good operation?

The one difference is that I have a big carb. Maybe my pump cant keep up with the carb. Or the pump is worn out. The pump is 19 years old. Anyone else have probelmes like this?
Mabye try a small elect. pump. Or increase line size. It may not be the pump....might be a supply issue.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/high-volume-fuel-pump.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
jahaiap
Getting Wild
Club Car

Its all 5/16'' line and the clubcar factory lines were a mix of 5/16'' and 1/4''. Do the factory fuel pums wear out? Ive seen rebuild kits for aftermarket pumps which makes me think it might be an issue. But I have the same style pump on my atv and Ive never heard of those going bad...
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
jahaiap
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Does this pump mount the same way the factory one does using the gas tank monting strap, or do I have to find somewhere to mount it?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

Looks pretty close to a bolt in install.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahaiap View Post
Does this pump mount the same way the factory one does using the gas tank monting strap, or do I have to find somewhere to mount it?
I'm not sure of the hole spacing. I'm sure they will tell you, give them a call. I had to make 2 little brackets to use my factory mounting point.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
cclingma
Getting Wild

I run a clone Honda in my Club Car with the factory fuel pump. I too did the line from the governer hole and some similar problems. When mine would run out of fuel like your saying I could pull the line off of the governer hole and it would be full of oil. I'd drain it out and away we'd go. Someone on this sight suggested putting a tee in that line that goes back to the line that runs from the air filter to the valve cover. Seems to have helped.
cclingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
mrcarter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

hey what do you mean putting a tea in the line
mrcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
cclingma
Getting Wild

I just put a T fitting in the vac line that goes from crank case to fuel pump with one side of the T to the pump and the other to the intake. I had to buy a special intake adaptor with a pulse fitting.
cclingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!