lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Bobp
Not Yet Wild

Default Correct Preload with Stock Driven Clutch Spring???

If anyone has assembled the driven clutch, with the stock spring; I sure could use some help.

I have a 1998 Workhorse that I am trying to improve hill climbing capability on.

I took the driven clutch apart and installed the 28deg cam. The EZGO manual and online blogs specify preloading the spring by turning the cam CCW 120 - 140deg. Actually the spring holes are such that the points of the cam are directly over the ramp buttons at 0deg, 120deg, 240deg etc.

So, if the cam is rotated 120-140deg, while holding the fixed and moveable sheave; the moveable sheave has to be allowed to rotate backward while the cam is pressed down on the splines. The final preload between the cam and moveable sheave then ends up being closer to 60deg. Is this correct?

Question on clutch operation - It appears that the tension from the belt actually rotates the moveable sheave so the cam forces the moveable sheave toward the fixed sheave for maximum belt diameter. Then as the tension decreases the moveable sheave moves along the cam on the ramp buttons, and decrease the effective diameter of the belt.

If the aftermarket springs have no engagement tabs for torsonal preload all the force must be compression. Do the aftermarket springs have significantly more compression to keep the clutch closed (maximum diameter) longer?
Bobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO