lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
mnunnery73
Not Yet Wild

Default Restoring a 1992 EZGO Marathon

I was gifted a 92 Marathon that had sat outside unused for years. I have stripped all the old trim including front bumper which was cracked. Ive got her running although the tires are old and dry rotted. Last piece to remove is dash, then planning to power wash, sand, paint and start the rebuild. Seats will need recovering but it already has a back seat. Any tips on sanding, painting, or cool ways to customize (inexpensively) would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice guys.
mnunnery73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Restoring a 1992 EZGO Marathon

i got the same (free) deal on my 93, it didn't have a front cowl on it, so i decided to build my own. i built it like a basket because its main purpose will be hunting, but it works well for a lot of other stuff too. as for paint, i'm going to use epoxy paint for boats so it will hold up better. and the absolute best thing I've bought is a 28 degree clutch with the high per. spring, that literally gave it at at least double the torque...oh, and i use a shorter belt too.
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry meant to attach a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danny's phone 5-21-14 1046.jpg (303.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Danny's phone 5-21-14 1057.jpg (273.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Danny's phone 5-21-14 1055.jpg (319.0 KB, 0 views)
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
hugger6933
Getting Wild

If your wanting to upgrade a little and not spend much money, [I have a 92 Marathon 4 seater] I will be changing bodies on it to put the later model TXT body style on there. Now as far as the paint, you had asked about do you have access to a DA sander? if so get some 6 inch sticky back 80 grit [10-15 sheets to start with] and sand it down pretty good. Then switch to some 180 grit sticky back paper and do it all again. Then go once more with some 220 or 320 sticky back paper then you should be ready for primer. Now if you have a lot of metal showing your gonna need the protection provided by the epoxy primer. If you have a nice sanded base with very little open metal[I do mean small amounts] high build primer is the way to go here. Also if you have filler work to do do it after the epoxy but before the high build so that the metal will be covered by the primer. The filler will stick to the epoxy. Your gonna need 2 to 3 coats of each kind of primer, if you start with the epoxy I still recommend the high build to go over the epoxy as the epoxy offers no fill properties and will hide no imperfections like the high build will. @ to 3 coats of each. Once that is done you can wet sand that primer with 400 to 600 grit wet paper on a board or backer and then your ready for paint. I have skipped about 853 steps in the middle just for the sake of time. But I can walk you through it if you need me to and be glad to do it. The truck site I am one I have helped dozens of people do their bodywork that have never before. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Capt Jack
Not Yet Wild

What length belt did you go with? I have a 93 with lift and 22" tires and need more bottom power?
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
hubba
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

93 Marathon

I have a 92 marathon that I'm wanting to do that to. How tale is the lift on it and did you make it yourself?

looks good
hubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO