lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
bigcee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking EZGO Rear differential input shaft nut crimped? how to remove input shaft?!

Hi all,
I am in the process of replacing some stripped gears and some worn bearings in the differential on this 1987 gas ezgo. I have removed the rear end from the cart, and have pulled both axles out and proceeded to remove the gear therein. What must I do to remove that input shaft? It seems that there is a nut crimped onto the splines near the input oil seal...and I don't see an ez way of de-crimping it and turning it off of there? Does that have to be removed to remove the shaft? Does the shaft just get bumped out of there? Does it take any special tools? Up until this point it has not...
Do I have to destroy that nut? Your help is much appreciated and the sooner I know, the better!
bigcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Rear differential input shaft nut crimped? how to remove input shaft?!

nut splitter?
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
bigcee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Rear differential input shaft nut crimped? how to remove input shaft?!

Well, I actually took a cutting wheel on a 4" grinder and cut the collar of the nut down past the crimped area. Then it came off easy. :)

Now the trouble is finding such parts...Anyone know of any good used pinion and ring gear combos around?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
bigcee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe the part number is 14589G1....am I right? Those seem hard to come by....I see a new one on the shopezgo site for like $760....and that is cuhrazy!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Dav1774
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have axle shafts that might fit new never installed if you need them, but no ring and pinion
Dav1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Dav1774
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

post a pic of the whole axle I may be able to dig one up
Dav1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
bigcee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Oooo hold that thought Dave! My father-in-law went ahead and purchased a set off of ebay for around $200. I wish I had showed you a pic to see if you had one first! But he already bought it. I will still take a pic of it when I get a chance.

Tags
differential, rebuild, shaft, spline, stripped
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO