lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
rhino44278
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 ez-go won't turn over

I have a 1985 EZ-Go that won't turn over. I've traced the power from the battery to the solenoid which OK, then to the micro switch then to the coil. The coil is receiving no power when I traced that back to the Ignitor there is a yellow and black wire going to the solenoid a black wire going to the solenoid an orange(or red) on going to the coil and a plug that goes to the engine (I can't see exactly where though). I unclip that plug and checked to see if there was any power coming out and there wasn't. (not sure if there should be though). Does this mean I need a new ignitor? Just as information... I just installed a new Starter/Generator and when I hit the gas, the engine turned ever so slightly then stopped. Not sure what my next step should be. Thanks to anyone who can help.
rhino44278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 85 ez-go won't turn over

Well I have to ask..... have you checked your battery?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
rhino44278
Not Yet Wild

Yes. I've even tried jumper cables and a battery charger set to start cars rather than charge. I have power everywhere up to the ignitor. I'm not very mechanical so I was looking for confirmation before buying something I didn't need.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

If you can't get the engine to turn over, replacing the igniter isn't going to help. There a diagram in the tech section that shows how to replace the igniter with one from a gm hei system.
Check your cables and connection, make sure those are good and clean.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
rhino44278
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. One more general question if I could... If you were not getting power to your coil, what would be your if recommendation? I'd like to go in a logical order but not having much mechanical experience I having difficulty knowing what to do next. I will clean all of my connection as you suggested though. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Are you testing the power going to the coil when your trying to turn it (the engine) over cause that's the only time it'll have power going to it.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
rhino44278
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 85 ez-go won't move even with engine running

Good news! Took every wire I could find, clean it and re-attached it and the engine fired up. I think the Carb needs tuned because the engine will race then cutout until I choke it then it will race again. However, now even though the engine runs the cart's wheels will not engage. Any advise?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

Are both clutches turning when its running?
what's the story behind the cart, did you just drag it out of a field or something?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
rhino44278
Not Yet Wild

What I can tell you is this cart has been sitting at Lake Erie for a couple of years. It was my fathers. I'm not sure it ever ran. When we brought it home from the lake, the rear tires skidded through the gravel and we trailered it home. Upon getting it home we were able to push the cart into my garage and the rear tires move like a golf cart does at the golf course. As for the 2 clutches...I'm not sure what to look for but this is what is see... There is a pully off the starter/generator and that is connected to another pulley with a belt with teeth. Behind that belt is a silver round object that is about the size of a grapefruit. That spins object spins as the engine runs. Opposite of that (where the belt with teeth connects to another pulley) is an object that has a white cover in front of the belt (right behind the transmission). That does not move unless I push the cart. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

so the pully on the rear (driven clutch) doesn't move unless you push the cart. The drive clutch (pully on the engine) isn't closing on the belt to make the other one spin. If I understand all this right I'm going to guess the drive clutch is stuck and not working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO