lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Batteries---- mind blown

I have read thread after thread and indepthly looked at our battery stickie... I just cannot seem to wrap my head around what I should be seeing versus what I should be expecting to see on my digital voltage read out. I've got a 2009 precedent with 2017 Trojan Batteries. This cart is used to goof off around the neighborhood, not golf courses. I may go a mile maybe 3 miles max on any given trip. The car is always plugged in when I return home. On average, if I check the voltage right after the charger shuts off, I usually see 51 .9V. If I come back maybe two days later and look, on average I can be in the 49 .5V area.

What puzzles me the most is when I go for a drive. My neighborhood it's mostly pretty flat with the occasional Hills that's not very extreme. Leaving a stop sign with pedal to the floor, I can see the voltage drop down into the 44V range and then slowly creep back up to an average driving voltage of about 46V and a half to 47V. When I come to a stop at a stop sign if I wait for the voltage to level out, I can be back in the 48 to almost 49V range. Cells are appropriately filled.

Compared to my father-in-law's similar Club Car, batteries that are little bit older, his seems faster off the start and maybe even a little faster cruising. Unfortunately, he does not have a digital readout and I haven't had an opportunity to hook up a voltmeter to his to watch the voltage while I'm driving. We both have the code four Speed programming put in, I have the magnet and he doesn't. He stays pretty consistent at 19 mph and I stay pretty consistent at 20 and a half to 21 mph.

Am I reading too much into it or do these numbers make sense?
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries---- mind blown

Your numbers make sense, although the voltage after charging should be a little higher. You still on an OBC and Powerdrive Charger?

I use to see ~55v+ right after mine shout off.

I ask about the OBC and PD because if so, unplug the Main Pack Neg for 20-30 minutes and reset the OBC and then let it charge again. I use to do this once or twice a year.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 49.5v after two days resting is way too low.

Do the OBC reset as suggested and monitor the pack voltage when the PowerDrive has dropped to around 4 amps.

During the first phase of the charging (Bulk) the PowerDrive will be at full amps and the pack voltage will climb steadily until around 57v.

During the second phase (Absorption) the OBC will hold the voltage around that 57v mark and start reducing the Powerdrive current.

During the final phase (Finish/Topping) when the current has reduced to 5 amps or less, the voltage will start climbing again until is over 60v.

Once the pack voltage gets above 60v, that is the ideal time to measure the voltage on individual batteries to make sure they close to the same voltage.

Use the 20v DC scale on your voltmeter to get 2 decimal places of precision on the individual battery voltage reading.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That is a pretty big drop for only two days. What accessories do you have on the cart? Lights? camera? action? Voltage reducer? How are they wired/ connected to the pack?

LMAO at Nole's christmas avatar!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

CTD... [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
CTD... [emoji52]
Yup, CTD.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
CTD... [emoji52]

What is CTD?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Your numbers make sense, although the voltage after charging should be a little higher. You still on an OBC and Powerdrive Charger?

I use to see ~55v+ right after mine shout off.

I ask about the OBC and PD because if so, unplug the Main Pack Neg for 20-30 minutes and reset the OBC and then let it charge again. I use to do this once or twice a year.
Yes, powerdrive. I have not touched anything controller, OBC, motor, etc. I've only added accessories. I'll reset the OBC as a starting point.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

To reset the OBC I just disconnect the negative on battery 6 (6 x 8v pack) that leads back to the controller? Do I need to be in run or tow? Unplug the charger as well I assume? What is the black wire with the yellow bullet connector called?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
What is CTD?

The name of the member on this site who made Nole’s picture.

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car