lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Bean3673
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Roller Rockers

I am looking to do an upgrade on my valve train on my vc460 as I would like to get some of the tappet noise out of it. I have been eyeing the Gage 1.3 or Venom 1.3 rockers and was wondering if I can use the pushrods that came in the engine. I read one place that stock length chromoly pushrods could be used but a guide plate was still needed. I contacted VC a couple weeks ago about the champion rockers because I read they would also quiet it down but they didn't recommend the change.
Bean3673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Roller Rockers

If you have the stud mounted rocker on your present set up you need to get the longer push rods for the shaft mounted switch. Also note NRracing produces it's own shaft mounted roller set for about $130. Those are the units I am running with the 6.700 push rods also from NR.Valve cover clearance can also be an issue with the high lift ratio units. For this I used the aussie speed cast cover. I see NR now has a $50 billet cover. Sho I believe just dented areas on the stock cover for clearance. P.S There are some install pics and talk on pages 2-6 in my Vc460 thread for more info.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I run a set of Gage 1.3 to 1 rocker arms. They don't always drop in. You need to understand rocker arm geometry. You need to make sure the roller contacts the lash cap in the proper position and how to change it if it doesn't. VC push rods are 6.500 long --- my push rods in engine #1 with Gage 1.3 to 1 rockers are 6.700 long. The push rods in engine #2 with NR Racing 1.3 to 1 rockers are 6.695 long.
If you look at the picture of the Gage rocker arms you will notice that the adjusters have about 2 threads in the lock nut. I had to use the original guide plate [cut off] as a shim under the set to lift it and center the rollers and 6.700 push rods to get some adjuster up into the lock nut. Roller rocker arms are a great source of power and will quiet the valve train. They also will eat the valve guides out of the head rapidly if the geometry is off.
I bought an adjustable push rod for measuring push rod length.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I run the NR billet 1.3 rockers, they are working nicely. I put a couple washers under them, there is an older thread here about rockers I think I posted in. I posted the chromo pushrod length I used, but if you use other valves it will be different. I used the cut to size rods from Vegas I think, and the 460 cam, this in a 420 home depot clone. Basically the rocker needs to be 90 degrees to the valve at half lift, or close to it so the roller does not go to the side of the valve/valve cap in my case. I still run stock valves with caps on both. The roller must travel very little and be very near the center. There are plenty of pages on the net about setting them up. If the angle is off you have to raise the rocker. I very carefully dented in the stock cover and its working well so far. I have pulse fitting in my cover and have tapped the outlet and hose it to the airbox for PCV gasses, because I run a custom intake and a scooter carb in front of the engine (above the block) with an automotive airbox. I have photos of the cam change and stuff but not had time to post a write-up life has given me other things to do at the moment.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Bean3673
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys that helps a lot and gives me a starting point
Old 04-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The NR billet steel rockers are cheaper than the all out alum ones, still do the same job and are shaft mounted and rollers. If you have a budget they seem to be a great deal. My engine is not a racer I just wanted something durable and they all seem to have issues with the studs with non shaft mount rockers. My 1.3 ratio stamped rockers I ran before were wearing the pushrod into the guide plate, though yes they were stock tiny rods, but the geometry seemed to be off a little. Get what you want, just saying I went with them for above reasons and my needs. I'm running the 460 cam and rod from Vegas in a 420 home depot clone.

They don't have bearings in the shaft part, but it does not seem to be an issue with them. That is the one thing they don't have. Lot of people race these and I could find no complaints. They appear well made.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Bean3673
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Had a little free time at work this morning so I made me a dummy pushrod at 6.700 to do some measuring with. Hopefully this number works out for me since several of you used this size. If not I have plenty more of this 1/4" SS tubing that I can make another out of until I get the length I am satisfied with. Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pushrod.jpg (92.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you have to shim the rockers higher to get the right angle, of course it changes your rod length so don't forget to check all that before you cut them.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Bean3673
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well I just got done with a test drive. I added the gage 1.3 rockers and while I had the engine out I pulled the face off my clutch and put red springs in my comet 780. Man this made so much difference in my golf cart I haven’t been this happy with it yet. It takes off so much smoother. I have mine set up to pedal start and not idle so after I got my carburetor adjusted just right and changed the springs it smooth as silk now and the tappet noise is so much better you can hear the exhaust over the engine now. I carried the wife for a ride and we could have a decent conversation without having to get loud with each other lol. I also added one of the NR racing billet valve covers. I can’t thank you guys enough for answering my questions and pointing me in the right direction.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sweet! Yes better rockers really help them out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps