lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 G8 Yamaha no ground at coil or engine.

MY MISTAKE. ENGINE IS GROUNDED. COIL IS NOT.

Is this engine supposed to be grounded on a g8 yamaha? Looking at the wiring diagram I don't see a wire going from the battery negative to the frame or engine. The coil has quit firing. It is not grounded which doesn't seem right.

wiring.jpg
benphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
bhunterp
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1992 G8 Yamaha no ground at coil or engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benphillips View Post
Is this engine supposed to be grounded on a g8 yamaha? Looking at the wiring diagram I don't see a wire going from the battery negative to the frame or engine. The coil has quit firing. It is not grounded which doesn't seem right.

Attachment 170444
I had to ground mine. Don't know what went wrong. Got it and the previous owner was trying to get it to run. No power on key switch, foot pedal switch was opening and closing. Ran a jumper ground to motor, ran hot jumper to key switch connector. Started and ran fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
bhunterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
bhunterp
Not Yet Wild

Oh my coil didn't need to be ground which seemed odd but didn't question it.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

Yea this is strange. I have 12V between batt positive and the valve cover. but only 0.04V on the metal body of the coil.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

I ran a wire from battery negative to a ring terminal under the screw on the coil. Cart runs better than before. I'm getting good fire. I used a 12 gauge wire. My only concern is causing damage to the coil or cdi.

I don't understand how the engine is grounded but the coil screwing into it is not.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
bhunterp
Not Yet Wild

Don't see how grounding would hurt anything unless the coils is staying engaged somehow. I tried running ground to everything it thing helped was grounding motor. Once I did the coils started engaging when I landed a hot wire. That's why I ran a hot to key switch. Glad it's running. If you happen to find the answer please share. Maybe I can wire mine correctly

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha