lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Default Installing V meter

I got one of ScottyB's volt meter to install in CC DS. I planned on cutting out hole in flat part of 'dash' around the steering wheel shaft for the meter to fit into. Naturally nothing is ever as simple as it could be and did not take long to see that removing the 2 screws holding the 'dash plate' did not solve the problem. Yes, the plate becomes movable after taking the screws out, but the plate does not simply slide out. I seems to be held in place on the bottom side by the aluminum frame around the bottom AND it slides over the steering wheel shaft. I had wrongly ASSumed it would be 'notched' to fit around the shaft, I guess that would have made it too simple to work on ....... lol.

So, is there a simple way to take the plate off to make the 'cut out', or am I better off trying to make the cut while still attacked to dash? Obviously the engineers were not believer is KISS ....... Keep It Simple, Stupid!
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Installing V meter

It comes out.
Be sure to disconnect your battery - to avoid shorting anything electrical to the frame.
Pry the top edge out, then pull up and out and the trim will slide out and up the steering shaft. You may have to use a trim tool or screwdriver to pry the bottom edge upward but it will come out.
The thin section below the notch has breakaway cut in the middle of it. Twist it with some pliers and it will snap down the middle. Then simply pull it off of the steering shaft.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Thanks FT4M. I am always leery of tearing something up that I am not familiar with when it is in a bind and I start 'forcing' it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Been there! Broken plenty of stuff that way too!

I haven't managed to break one of these trim covers yet though. They seem to be pretty darn tough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another thought is now you see where you can put the meter without interfering with anything. Mark your new hole and push the panel back in place. Cut the hole using a new razor blade or dremmel.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

I took the dash plate off to clear the area behind for the voltage meter and other switches and accessory outlet when I installed my reducer. I marked all the cutouts I needed then reattached the dash plate for stability while I was razor cutting or using the dremmel. Here is a pic of my dash. Good luck and like someone said.... disconnect your battery pack as there is 48 volts at your dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (182.8 KB, 0 views)
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
BigOL3
Gone Wild

All good advice, thanks. Got plate off no problem. What is this round thing with the red wire. When I bumped it, the red wire came loose, appears the other terminal was broke off?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

That’s the reverse buzzer.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
BigOL3
Gone Wild

LOL ...... good to know it is a piece of useless stuff, I don't need, since it was broke anyway
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One of those wires should be hot all the time - a good source for half of the meter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car