lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 72VDC to 12VDC Reducer

Wiring diagram shows that the 12VDC is coming off 2 of the 6v batteries. When the key is turned the 12V is energizing the coil of a relay that switches the 48v to the solenoid coil.
ScottA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA58 View Post
Wiring diagram shows that the 12VDC is coming off 2 of the 6v batteries. When the key is turned the 12V is energizing the coil of a relay that switches the 48v to the solenoid coil.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #13
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
How does the key switch get 12v when the reducer is off?
I don’t know a lot but I’m with mooncarter on this. I’ve never heard of a reducer like this before. I don’t know how you would be getting 12v before the reducer from a 48v cart (unless you’re running 4 12’s or 8 6’s? If that’s actually what you’ve got, maybe they figure that since the trigger wire isn’t really pulling much juice, so no harm. Still, it just seems very odd. Maybe you’re probing the wrong pin on your key switch and you’re actually reading what’s coming in from the reducer output when you’re seeing 12v?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I don’t know a lot but I’m with mooncarter on this. I’ve never heard of a reducer like this before. I don’t know how you would be getting 12v before the reducer from a 48v cart (unless you’re running 4 12’s or 8 6’s? If that’s actually what you’ve got, maybe they figure that since the trigger wire isn’t really pulling much juice, so no harm. Still, it just seems very odd. Maybe you’re probing the wrong pin on your key switch and you’re actually reading what’s coming in from the reducer output when you’re seeing 12v?
Got to be something like this or something I have never heard of. Like you, I'm just trying to understand this. Never seen it done that way.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The control is pack voltage. You don’t have 12v if the reducer is not on. If it’s not on, and no 12v output, it can’t supply 12v to itself to turn itself on.
You need pack voltage from your key switch to turn the reducer on.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The control is pack voltage. You don’t have 12v if the reducer is not on. If it’s not on, and no 12v output, it can’t supply 12v to itself to turn itself on.
You need pack voltage from your key switch to turn the reducer on.
He says he's getting it from two 6 volts.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Snow
Not Yet Wild

My cart has a part number 12-13F030T55-01 from DPI that came with it.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

His cart is 72V according to the title. They are a lot more complex than the 48V carts. I can verify that.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #19
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

OK, I did some more digging and have cleared a few things up. First of all, those of you who have tried to help me on this topic were right (as usual), and I was wrong. The switched power to the control wire on my 48V cart should be 48VDC. On my cart it is hooked up to 12VDC but still works. When I installed this reducer 3-4 years ago, I watched the installation video online. I watched it again over the weekend. The video instructs you to connect the control wire to switched power at the key switch. It doesn't say what the voltage should be. On my cart, voltage off the key switch is 12VDC. On most carts it is 48VDC. Over the weekend I located a wiring diagram on the internet for this specific reducer and the diagram shows the control wire should be connected to 36VDC-48VDC. This never came up because the reducer still works with 12VDC to the control wire.

Now with this information, when I install the 72VDC - 12VDC reducer in my 72 V cart, I will connect the control wire to 72VDC.

Thanks again to everyone that posted replies to my question.
ScottA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA58 View Post
OK, I did some more digging and have cleared a few things up. First of all, those of you who have tried to help me on this topic were right (as usual), and I was wrong. The switched power to the control wire on my 48V cart should be 48VDC. On my cart it is hooked up to 12VDC but still works. When I installed this reducer 3-4 years ago, I watched the installation video online. I watched it again over the weekend. The video instructs you to connect the control wire to switched power at the key switch. It doesn't say what the voltage should be. On my cart, voltage off the key switch is 12VDC. On most carts it is 48VDC. Over the weekend I located a wiring diagram on the internet for this specific reducer and the diagram shows the control wire should be connected to 36VDC-48VDC. This never came up because the reducer still works with 12VDC to the control wire.

Now with this information, when I install the 72VDC - 12VDC reducer in my 72 V cart, I will connect the control wire to 72VDC.

Thanks again to everyone that posted replies to my question.
Glad you got it figured out and have the right plan for your 72v cart.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO