lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Did something stupid- OBC help

was installing my new alltrax and solenoid on my 2010 precedent today. Everything was going pretty good, until I went to swap out the negative cable coming from controller to battery pack, to an upgraded cable. Cut the old one out no problem and then for some stupid reason thought I would drill a large hole to install new cable though the hole, not realizing that I was drilling into the OBC

SO I think I successfully ruined my OBC.

not even sure if the alltrax install went ok because cart wont move

so anything to check or what is best option? just read a few things about OBC bypass- Is that an option on the precedent?
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Did something stupid- OBC help

The OBC is dead and You will need a new smart charger.

You can still enjoy the cart and manually get some charge on the batteries by by-passing the OBC.

Cut all wires flush with the OBC.

Splice the Blue and White wires that go to the 6-pin connector together. You can remove all of the other wires from the 6-pin connector.

Splice the two black wires and the grey wire that was connected to the female quick connector on the OBC together.

That will allow You to drive the cart and use the Powerdrive 3 to charge.

To charge the cart plug the charger plug to the cart receptacle first.

Next plug the charger AC plug to the wall.

Manually monitor the voltage and unplug the charger AC plug when the pack gets close to 60v.

After the AC plug is unplugged you can disconnect the charger from the cart receptacle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

thanks, really appreciate that I WIll give that a try tomorrow. Pretty mad that I did something that stupid. Only good thing is I have lithium batteries ready to be installed and would be getting a different charger anyway
Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

did the OBC bypass as mentioned but am still having issues.

WHen I press pedal i get a weird noise from back at either the controller or motor and the cart doesn't really move. seems like its trying to but just barely starts to move/shudder and doesn't sound right

ill take it back apart and post a few pictures to make sure its nothing simple that missed. I had just wired a new solenoid and the alltrax but never got to test because of ruining the OBC.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here are a few pics. Don’t see anything out of place. The old four pin off stock controller doesn’t get used, correct?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The diode appears to be backwards on the Solenoid, the diode side with the "stripe" goes towards the solid light blue wire.

Remove the pre-charge resistor and install the Regen diode with the "stripe" end towards the battery cable.

Make sure the big cables go faster on the Solenoid followed by the small wires.

Make sure the unused wires taped together in that OBC bundle are isolated from each other as well.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The diode appears to be backwards on the Solenoid, the diode side with the "stripe" goes towards the solid light blue wire.

Ok, will switch that one around.

Remove the pre-charge resistor and install the Regen diode with the "stripe" end towards the battery cable.

WIll do, for some reason I thought the alltrax instructions said dont use for the precedent so thats why I left off. Was a little confused about this part and the resistor i installed.

Make sure the big cables go faster on the Solenoid followed by the small wires.

Good to go here.

Make sure the unused wires taped together in that OBC bundle are isolated from each other as well.

I taped each wire separately
will try again and see if that resolves issue

WIll probably remount controller and solenoid after I do battery conversion. Seems pretty tight to get back in and don't like that I can see or make adjustments without disconnecting everything
Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

made changes at solenoid and now when I press pedal I can hear solenoid click but when I am in forward it goes reverse and reverse goes forward.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
made changes at solenoid and now when I press pedal I can hear solenoid click but when I am in forward it goes reverse and reverse goes forward.

If the Reverse Buzzer is making noise when the FNR is in Reverse but the cart is going Forward:
Swap the F1 and F2 motor wires at the Controller or motor but use two wrenches if doing it at the motor to keep the studs from spinning.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If the Reverse Buzzer is making noise when the FNR is in Reverse but the cart is going Forward:
Swap the F1 and F2 motor wires at the Controller or motor but use two wrenches if doing it at the motor to keep the studs from spinning.
Thanks. Switched two wires at the motor and cart seems to be back to normal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car