lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #21
ousuxndallas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Roypow battery shutting down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi,

It’s not about the Ah rating, it’s about the continuous and peak currents the battery is able to supply.

Your cart looks like it will need substantial current to get it going, especially with hills and mud. You would probably need at least something like the OP initially had, 160A continuous with 315A peak.

Since you have an Alltrax controller, can you log the current draw, that will tell you exactly the type of battery you need.

Cheers

Pat.
Pat, thank you for the reply. I don't know how to check the logs. I assume, just connect to it using a USB cord? Does the Alltrax automatically record the data?

I know it's preprogrammed with 3 modes, N, 1 and 2. N is the low speed mode, which I use off-road. 1 is higher speed, 2 is full speed.

My current battery pack is 4x12v, US Batteries. I don't know the peak load, but that pack has 100% performed for me offroad. Steep hills, mud, etc it has been perfect.
ousuxndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #22
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don’t know much about the Alltrax controller, only what I’ve read here. Maybe someone that has one can comment.

The difference between LA and Lithium when it comes to current delivery is that LA will continue to try to deliver the current with the voltage sagging when the current gets too high. Your cart will still work in this case, just with reduced power.

With Lithium, the voltage will have very little sag. If designed properly, a BMS that is matched to the cells will actually cut the battery off if the current limit is reached. Your cart will shut down when this happens. Hence all the complaints about carts shutting down with lithium batteries. The batteries that have been installed simply cannot deliver the current required by.

If your 4 x 12v LA cells are serving you at 100%, then a properly sized lithium battery will serve you at 200%. You will be astonished with the speed you can maintain going up hills.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #23
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Alltrax has a software program that you install on your laptop. You connect via USB to the controller and set the program up to record a bunch of parameters while driving. The controller itself does not store the logs - you have to do that on your Laptop.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #24
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousuxndallas View Post
Pat, thank you for the reply. I don't know how to check the logs. I assume, just connect to it using a USB cord? Does the Alltrax automatically record the data?

I know it's preprogrammed with 3 modes, N, 1 and 2. N is the low speed mode, which I use off-road. 1 is higher speed, 2 is full speed.

My current battery pack is 4x12v, US Batteries. I don't know the peak load, but that pack has 100% performed for me offroad. Steep hills, mud, etc it has been perfect.

I ended up ordering the Extreme Team 72v 150ah battery. It has 300amp continuous current limit and 350amp peak. After the responses here and after talking with Extreme Team, I feel pretty confident it will hold up. Not sure how steep and long the hills are you are doing but the one in my hood is quite steep and long and the Roypow wasn't able to deliver for me. This set up may be more than I need but I didn't want to take the risk of having something that shuts down over and over again. Extreme also does a small discount for military, first responders, etc so that helped with the cost a little. I will update this thread once the battery is put in and tested. Right now the expected arrival is mid-Aug, we shall see....
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #25
ousuxndallas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
I ended up ordering the Extreme Team 72v 150ah battery. It has 300amp continuous current limit and 350amp peak. After the responses here and after talking with Extreme Team, I feel pretty confident it will hold up. Not sure how steep and long the hills are you are doing but the one in my hood is quite steep and long and the Roypow wasn't able to deliver for me. This set up may be more than I need but I didn't want to take the risk of having something that shuts down over and over again. Extreme also does a small discount for military, first responders, etc so that helped with the cost a little. I will update this thread once the battery is put in and tested. Right now the expected arrival is mid-Aug, we shall see....
Thx for the update. Do you have a phone number for them? I want to order through them.
ousuxndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #26
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

I don't see it on their website, all of my communication has been done via email and FB messenger. If you do decide to go with them know up front that from order to delivery date is running 40-60 days. If you don't want to pay in full upfront you can pay the deposit which is half. Unfortunately the delays are out of their hands due to shipping delays that are affecting many industries. I decided the wait was worth it as no other drop in offers the same specs as these guys, and I appreciated the discount I got for being a healthcare worker.
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:28 PM   #27
jacobwtyler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Found this thread and this is exactly what is going on with my cart, I think.

Just under 2 years ago, I bought the 105aH roypow battery from extremekartz (not the "P" version) and last month I did the navitas AC conversion kit and now the cart pulls wheelies so I was stoked. My wife, on the other hand, wasn't so impressed with the cost/benefit. lol. So, in an attempt to up the benefit side of things, I welded up a (super cool) 2 seat trailer because I had been under the impression that one of the more pragmatic benifits of the AC motor was its ability to tow or climb hills with no loss of power. Well, on the trailers maiden voyage (with the whole family in tow), it got about 80% of the way up the steepest hill in the neighborhood and everything just shut down and we had to walk about a half a mile home. I went back with my meter and some tools and as soon as I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery, the roypow turns back on. I assumed, incorrectly, that my 400a solenoid must be at fault so i ordered the 600a variation and installed it and then tested the hill again and it made it this time so I assumed the problem was solved. A few days later, we had all 4 seats full (10 people) and it shut down again after about 80% of a slightly less intimidating hill in the area. Again, disconnected the positive and the battery comes back to life and on we went but still embarrassing/frustrating. Now, after reading this thread, obviously, I'm exceeding the 30 second threshold of maximum current.

Now, my question: how do I fix this and still keep the wife happy? It's been almost 2 years since I bought the battery and extremekartz.com doesn't seem to even sell roypow anymore. I can't really blame anyone for this as the battery works as intended but with the AC conversion and the trailer, I now need a "P" version at least. I can't just spend another 3K on a battery.... unless there is a reasonable market for the 2 year old roypow that I currently have. (Is there?) I'm okay with taking a reasonable loss in order to avoid future shutdowns if its possible. Or should I add a 2nd battery as some of you suggested in this thread? Seems like that would be just as expensive. Is there an area of the Navitas app where I could tune the amp draw max down? I already entered my battery make and model in the navitas settings so it seems like navitas should be aware of the bms' limits. My last resort is just to know my equipment limitations and not climb a hill for more than 20 seconds or so without slowing way down. Not my preferred solution since obviously I did all these upgrades so that I would have exceptional performance with no limitations. What's my best option friends? Thanks for any advice. (first post on the site. lots of fantastic info on here. hope to contribute to the community in the future.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7727.jpg (19.1 KB, 0 views)
jacobwtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #28
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would start your own thread with this series of questions as to avoid drawing this thread out in a direction in what the original posters issue did not take it.

Yes end of the day you have a similar roypow battery and it is shutting down but for very different reasons and to answer all your questions will take more than a quick sentence or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwtyler View Post
Found this thread and this is exactly what is going on with my cart, I think.

Just under 2 years ago, I bought the 105aH roypow battery from extremekartz (not the "P" version) and last month I did the navitas AC conversion kit and now the cart pulls wheelies so I was stoked. My wife, on the other hand, wasn't so impressed with the cost/benefit. lol. So, in an attempt to up the benefit side of things, I welded up a (super cool) 2 seat trailer because I had been under the impression that one of the more pragmatic benifits of the AC motor was its ability to tow or climb hills with no loss of power. Well, on the trailers maiden voyage (with the whole family in tow), it got about 80% of the way up the steepest hill in the neighborhood and everything just shut down and we had to walk about a half a mile home. I went back with my meter and some tools and as soon as I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery, the roypow turns back on. I assumed, incorrectly, that my 400a solenoid must be at fault so i ordered the 600a variation and installed it and then tested the hill again and it made it this time so I assumed the problem was solved. A few days later, we had all 4 seats full (10 people) and it shut down again after about 80% of a slightly less intimidating hill in the area. Again, disconnected the positive and the battery comes back to life and on we went but still embarrassing/frustrating. Now, after reading this thread, obviously, I'm exceeding the 30 second threshold of maximum current.

Now, my question: how do I fix this and still keep the wife happy? It's been almost 2 years since I bought the battery and extremekartz.com doesn't seem to even sell roypow anymore. I can't really blame anyone for this as the battery works as intended but with the AC conversion and the trailer, I now need a "P" version at least. I can't just spend another 3K on a battery.... unless there is a reasonable market for the 2 year old roypow that I currently have. (Is there?) I'm okay with taking a reasonable loss in order to avoid future shutdowns if its possible. Or should I add a 2nd battery as some of you suggested in this thread? Seems like that would be just as expensive. Is there an area of the Navitas app where I could tune the amp draw max down? I already entered my battery make and model in the navitas settings so it seems like navitas should be aware of the bms' limits. My last resort is just to know my equipment limitations and not climb a hill for more than 20 seconds or so without slowing way down. Not my preferred solution since obviously I did all these upgrades so that I would have exceptional performance with no limitations. What's my best option friends? Thanks for any advice. (first post on the site. lots of fantastic info on here. hope to contribute to the community in the future.)
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As you found out, you exceeded the battery's capability to handle high current loads. I don't know if you can dial back your controller enough to avoid tripping the over-current in your BMS but you can try that. Performance == current!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #30
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Would it be safe for him to replace the Roypow BMS with a beefier one? Like Daly or JK?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car