lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
BIGBREW
Getting Wild

Default How do you remove the steering wheel G14

I need to get my steering wheel off so I can touch up my cup holder. I took the bolt off and the thing does not budge......Ideas?
BIGBREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: How do you remove the steering wheel G14

Loosen the nut just a couple of threads. (this will keep the wheel from flying off and smacking you in the kisser!)

Sit in the seat with your feet up on the dash, and use your knees to put pressure on the back side of the steering wheel.

Give the top of the nut a really good hit with a hammer and it should break loose. Use a piece of hardwood between the nut and the hammer to keep from deforming the threads.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
BIGBREW
Getting Wild

Good idea on leaving the bolt on!! I will give that a try.
BIGBREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I tried all that and nothing at all would work. I eventually put a tie rod breaker bar between the wheel and the stem and had to beat it in there. Ended up cracking my wheel but its off and still usable.
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Oh and use antisieze once you get it off.
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the same issue with mine. I ended up drilling holes in the side of my steering wheel and used a puller. Worked well and I destroyed the old steering wheel but I was taking it off because I was replacing it.
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I took the hard plastic steering wheel off mine and replaced it with a yamaha rhino sport wheel with the soft rubber feel to it.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
canyonsmitty@me.com
Not Yet Wild

Here's my solution: Couple of pieces of small angle iron, 3/8" x 6" bolts, couple 5/16"x2 1/2" bolts and a gear puller. The angle irons grab the steering column below the wheel, one on each side of the column. The 5/16 bolts with 4 nuts keep the angle irons parallel and loosely centered on the column through holes drilled in the lower legs of the angle irons. The angle irons are pulled up snug against the backside of the wheel hub. Run two 6" bolts through the horizontal leg of the angle iron then through clearance holes drilled, each side of the hub, through steering wheel web, then to a suitable gear puller. Took lots of penetrating oil, an extraordinary amount of tightening and a few sharp raps with a ball peen on the gear puller. When it let go it came with a bang! Salvaged the steering wheel a little the worse for wear and put it back on with anti-seize as mentioned in an earlier post.
canyonsmitty@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonsmitty@me.com View Post
Here's my solution: Couple of pieces of small angle iron, 3/8" x 6" bolts, couple 5/16"x2 1/2" bolts and a gear puller. The angle irons grab the steering column below the wheel, one on each side of the column. The 5/16 bolts with 4 nuts keep the angle irons parallel and loosely centered on the column through holes drilled in the lower legs of the angle irons. The angle irons are pulled up snug against the backside of the wheel hub. Run two 6" bolts through the horizontal leg of the angle iron then through clearance holes drilled, each side of the hub, through steering wheel web, then to a suitable gear puller. Took lots of penetrating oil, an extraordinary amount of tightening and a few sharp raps with a ball peen on the gear puller. When it let go it came with a bang! Salvaged the steering wheel a little the worse for wear and put it back on with anti-seize as mentioned in an earlier post.
I remember when mine popped off to. Definitely a big bang!
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
thecurti
The G8 wrecking ball

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBREW View Post
I need to get my steering wheel off so I can touch up my cup holder. I took the bolt off and the thing does not budge......Ideas?
A puller or .... I use a large wrench that will slide over the column and hit up on it to pop the wheel off
thecurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha