lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

Default Considering a 1,000cc Goldwing into a Yamaha G2

So, what are your thoughts on stuffing a 1,000cc Honda Goldwing flat-4 into a Yamaha G2? Crazy, right?!

I have a complete bike with a badly rusted frame, but a beautifully running engine, and a G2 that I've been rebuilding for the past 2 years.

I'm not a speed fanatic, I just think it would be an interesting project. I've always liked sleepers - I built a 350 Vega wagon back in the day, and I loved my '90 Taurus SHO. It's fun to humiliate the occasional Porsche...

Has anyone attempted this swap? Should I remain sane and keep the 9 HP Yamaha mill, or maybe a traditional big block swap?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Considering a 1,000cc Goldwing into a Yamaha G2

Steve

If you got the fab skills, an the motor, and the cart, O and some $$$ to play with, I say go for it, That would be cool, That motor would run smooth in that cart,---You need to do some measuring and make sure it is going to fit, and figure out how to hook that motor to the rear axle
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would go for it, if I thought I could make it fit and connect the power. Otherwise if you are budget minded the 16 clone is a great option to stock. Just beware of the clearance issue to the rear shock, but its pretty cheap to do and easily double the power. Its way fun compared to stock at similar cost to rebuild (if you pay for one to be rebuilt) long as you can fab the install.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Need some pictures of the engine and the output shaft, is a Gold Wing chain or drive shaft?
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Isn't the Goldwing shaft drive? Thought I read some were they have a reverse (uses the starter as I recall). If the cylinder head width is to much for the G2 frame, I think it would be a great project. Keep us posted.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

Thanks, guys! This is something I've been kicking around for quite some time. The Goldwing engine runs beautiful - smooth as silk, but the poor frame is bent, cracked, and rusted beyond repair.

It is a shaft drive, and way too wide to fit between the frame uprights, but a sideways install will work, I think... I'd have to run a countershaft between the engine output and the trans input. I'd also have to mount the radiator someplace with plenty of airflow.

The engine has a carburetor fuel system, and a breaker point ignition system, so the wiring would be very simple. It's a flat 4 cylinder, so height is not a problem.

I rebuilt the G2 engine last year, so I'm not sure about ripping the cart apart again so soon, but I did get it to have something interesting to tinker with.

Still a plan in progress! Will it ever become a work in progress? Who knows...
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

I was looking for a goldwing motor to stuff in a cart.I think it would be way cool.You could find an older electric rear axle that the motor mounted on the front of the pinion and fab a shaft set up for it.Love to see it happen.
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
kawasaki
Gone Wild
Tomberlin

1200 goldwing bored and stroked in a golf cart, suppose to do 11.5 1/4 mile @ 110 mph. It looks like it is a g2 frame highly modified, 5 speed high and 5 speed low, and electric reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0161.jpg (261.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0163.jpg (86.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0164.jpg (110.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0169.jpg (92.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0167.jpg (78.8 KB, 0 views)
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

What better way to bring a 6 year dead thread back to life...

I applaud you sir!
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
1200 goldwing bored and stroked in a golf cart, suppose to do 11.5 1/4 mile @ 110 mph. It looks like it is a g2 frame highly modified, 5 speed high and 5 speed low, and electric reverse.
I'd really like to see some detailed pix's of the engine, driveline, transaxle set up. If you don't mind.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps