lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
milltown
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My New Radio Install

I got a similar radio on the way and was curious to how do you like your speakers mounted in that location. I have been thinking about mounting mine there but didn't know if water would build up inside the speaker froma washing and stuff.
milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

You'll have to be careful with water no matter where you put speakers, marine or not, but pooling up is why I didn't want to put mine there.

I put mine here:

SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
milltown
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey salt, I also wanted to put mine where you have them too. My concern with that location was heat from a gas engine, and cutting up the body. They look real good there and that me be where I end up putting mine.
milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Beamer, yes it's a marine radio and it is agood deal.
Shadowman, as far as disconnecting the power no I didnt this time, but I did when I ran all the wires the other day. The radio is connected to a fuse block that is connected to a converter. So I did put it in tow and then didn't put the fuse in for this until everything was done.
SaltlifeCC: I purchased a universal under dash radio kit (AW-104UD) for about $13 on Amazon. Our carts are the same so yes this would work and I centered it in the middle and set it back just at 2" from the lip. It's almost all the way back so it's best to run the wires through the back of the kit first before installing it.
zx104u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by milltown View Post
Hey salt, I also wanted to put mine where you have them too. My concern with that location was heat from a gas engine, and cutting up the body. They look real good there and that me be where I end up putting mine.
Speakers are replaceable, so is the body for that matter. I don't think heat would be a big deal unless the speakers are in an area where heat collects and can't disapate easily. Not sure if it would be easier or harder on a gas model, but on my electric, I just had to notch out a small area of the battery bay to allow magnet clearance. They sound good where they are.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
You'll have to be careful with water no matter where you put speakers, marine or not, but pooling up is why I didn't want to put mine there.

I put mine here:

How did you have enough room to mount them there. It didn't seem like I had enough depth room to put them there since I have 4 12v batteries.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by milltown View Post
I got a similar radio on the way and was curious to how do you like your speakers mounted in that location. I have been thinking about mounting mine there but didn't know if water would build up inside the speaker froma washing and stuff.
The speakers sound good there and they travel up so the people in the rear seat can hear them good also.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
beamerbenzorbentley
Not Yet Wild

@zx104u2nv - thank you :) @ SaltLifeCC what is pooling? I like the way yours are set up underneath the cart also. On the cart I have it also doesn't seem like I'd have enough room?
beamerbenzorbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Guys, I was concerned about having enough room before I did my install, too. But that's where I really wanted my speakers mounted so I figured out a way. I am on a different computer and don't have my pictures to post. But, if you search for some of my old posts, you'll find more information about how I did it. For starters, I was careful to buy "shallow mount" marine speakers. Mine are Polk Audio 6.5 marine grade speakers and can commonly be found on popular auction sites for a pretty good price.

If you look in the battery bay, on both the passenger and driver sides, you'll see a wide spot on each side that indents into the battery bay, allowing a little more room behind it for the speaker magnets to recess into. After cutting the holes in the body, I figured out where I'd have to take my dremel and just notch out a small area to the right and to the left of those wide indentations to fit the width of the speaker magnets. Once I had that done, the speakers fit with no problem and they don't contact anything around or behind them. But the shallow area provides great natural baffling and really helps the bass. I thought about adding a small subwoofer when I got started, but after hearing them, I decided I didn't need one. If I did anything else, it might be to mount some box speakers or something in the rear area somewhere - where they'd be out of the way of getting wet, or removable, but we really don't feel like we need it.

Oh, and what I mean by pooling is just that. Speakers mounted facing up could become little pools for water to fill if something happens and they get wet. And there really isn't a real easy way to get the water out. If you can keep them dry, that's a great spot to mount some speakers. And I keep my cart put up every night - but it has still figured out how to get wet now and then. When I wash my cart, I'm still careful about getting much water in or on the speakers. I've had everything installed for several months and no problems so far.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #20
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks SaltLifeCC, I'll have to take a look at that. I may want to add a "front" set of speakers someday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car