lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
vinceb56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1986 2 stroke appears to be flooding itself out

Cart rat fine 2 weeks ago. While running around the camp ground this weekend, started backfiring and studdering. Replaced all fuel lines, cleaned carburetor, checked reed valves and fuel pump cannot keep this running. Any help is greatly aprpeciated when this cart runs it runs when it doesn't it doesnt
vinceb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 2 stroke appears to be flooding itself out

check the crank seals - jack up the cart so it doesn't take off on you and start it up, have somebody help you and have them spray some carb cleaner or wd40 at either end of the crank (front of the motor right inti the intake and rear of the motor where the crank exits) - if this makes the rpm's go up, your seals need replacing.

The good news is they're really cheap, under $10 a set. The bad news is you'll need to pull the clutch and flywheel (easier with the engine out of the cart) to change them
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

When you say that you cleaned the carburetor did you remove the main jet, the main nozzle and the slow running jet and clean every orifice. Some guys are under the impression that blasting some cleaner into the air intake will suffice and it surely won't.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
When you say that you cleaned the carburetor did you remove the main jet, the main nozzle and the slow running jet and clean every orifice. Some guys are under the impression that blasting some cleaner into the air intake will suffice and it surely won't.
Dave
couldn,t agree more..........when i clean a carb it takes me a few hours and an air compressor and i take every jet out go thur them along with every port hole and anything else......just spraying carb cleaner in them is a waste of time and money..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
vinceb56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you to the 3 people that have replied with info. As stated I am a horrible mechanic, this is all a learning experience to me. I am documenting all your info and advice. Since you are all obviously knowledgable, do you think having a bad float in the carb could have any effect also
? IT is dark black and rather heavy, like I said this cart was running well prior
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

the float itself isn't as big of a potential culprit as the needle valve and seat that run off the float - when you do the carb cleaning as stated above, you should thoroughly clean the needle and seat/orifice it sits in ... This pic should help you identify where the jets that need cleaning are:

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

(Oh and the pic is of an 88/89 carb, but there is basically no difference between this one and yours)
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
vinceb56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you I believe the carb is a Macunie???? I did clean the needle valve well. 3 of the six holes were blocked
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
vinceb56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can jack this up and using a lil starting fluid(I know not to over do it can get this to fire, then by mildly playing with the clutch can keep it running like hell also when I was losing power driving it,
I would pull the choke out and push it back in to give it about a 50 ft boost ever heard of this???
Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
vinceb56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
the float itself isn't as big of a potential culprit as the needle valve and seat that run off the float - when you do the carb cleaning as stated above, you should thoroughly clean the needle and seat/orifice it sits in ... This pic should help you identify where the jets that need cleaning are:

great diagram sir, thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO